Building Gobos

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Building Gobos

Post by FlowersForHuman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Anyone have a basic plan for building studio gobos? The frame and stands part I can handle, but I'm not sure what typically would go inside...never really seen inside one...except of course for the clear ones I've seen in churches, haha. I couldn't find a thread.

suggestions? neat ideas?

Cheaper the better...thanks!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Owens Corning 705 (or 703), wrapped in fabric, as far as I know.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:33 pm

I built some gobos a few years ago. They are 2' wide and 6' tall. If I had it to do over again I'd make them 4'x4', or maybe 5' tall.

If you want to stop sound, then you want to use some sort of insulation (not fluffy fiberglass, either rigid fiberglass, or rockwool or Ultratouch cotton), along with a barrier inside. You can easily make it reversible, with the barrier on one side (so that side is reflective) and the insulation on the other side (so that side is absorptive). You can also put the barrier in the middle and make it absorptive on both sides, this is what I'd do.

I'd link to the plans I put online but the Sayers forum is down for maintenance.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:57 am

Here's a quick photo-essay I made about building gobos.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Re: Building Gobos

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:45 am

FlowersForHuman wrote:Anyone have a basic plan for building studio gobos? The frame and stands part I can handle, but I'm not sure what typically would go inside...never really seen inside one...except of course for the clear ones I've seen in churches, haha. I couldn't find a thread.

suggestions? neat ideas?

Cheaper the better...thanks!
It depends how much treatment you want. I've only used 2" insulation (I recommend Roxul rockwool instead of OC 703...it's cheaper and has better specs...check with local dealer for specifics/prices) but 4" is available as well. I made a few gobos for light treatment. The frames were 6'x2' made of 1x2 lumber. I used rockwool with foil backing so I left the back of the panel open. I drove a few nails through the sides of the frames, into the insulation, and covered with burlap. They've stayed together great for years through a few relocations, too. They're light and free-standing if you connect two panels with a hinge. If you want super-absorption, some make a thicker gobo with two pieces of 2" insulation inside, separated by an air gap.

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:16 am

Ahh thats great, thanks everyone. Seems simple enough. I love the idea of hinging them in pairs instead of having to use stands...I certainly hadn't thought of that!

It seems like a plywood core with insulation on either side would cancel more sound than an air gap in the middle but that also seems like it could be frequency dependent. Opinions there?

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:43 am

FlowersForHuman wrote:Ahh thats great, thanks everyone. Seems simple enough. I love the idea of hinging them in pairs instead of having to use stands...I certainly hadn't thought of that!

It seems like a plywood core with insulation on either side would cancel more sound than an air gap in the middle but that also seems like it could be frequency dependent. Opinions there?
Air gap helps with the low frequencies. I've heard you want to mount panels an inch or two off the wall for this reason.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Aquaman wrote:Here's a quick photo-essay I made about building gobos.
Nice photo essay, thanks for posting!

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:44 am

Thought I would post this interesting random blurb I found about some of the Owens Corning products. Apparently they have a line of stuff marketed in the south for "Acoustic Noise Control" which is apparently the same as normal fiberglass heat insulation, just packaged differently and price hiked. It's pink...not 703/705. I became interested because I saw some on a construction site sitting next to bales of mineral wool. Apparently the builders fell hook, line and sinker!

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive ... 03220.html

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:15 pm

in my experience -

no plywood or air gap necessary.

one piece does wonders.

something I did (if you look at the studio website):

get these 1"x2"x8' pieces of wood from your hardware store.

cut some for the top and bottom and middle to be 2' long.

nail them together, maybe add a corner brace if they're a little wobbly, and the panels fit nice and square in the middle. cover with fabric (or not), and presto.

get two and put door hinges between them for a giant portable drum isolation foldscreen.

these things do great. they absorb plenty of bass for me.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:09 pm

I used to be an electrical Apprentice and I started seeing this in about a year ago in Commercial construction here in Colorado. Everytime I saw the stuff I couldn't help but laugh out loud...
FlowersForHuman wrote:Thought I would post this interesting random blurb I found about some of the Owens Corning products. Apparently they have a line of stuff marketed in the south for "Acoustic Noise Control" which is apparently the same as normal fiberglass heat insulation, just packaged differently and price hiked. It's pink...not 703/705. I became interested because I saw some on a construction site sitting next to bales of mineral wool. Apparently the builders fell hook, line and sinker!

Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:11 am

lunatic wrote:I used to be an electrical Apprentice and I started seeing this in about a year ago in Commercial construction here in Colorado. Everytime I saw the stuff I couldn't help but laugh out loud...
FlowersForHuman wrote:Thought I would post this interesting random blurb I found about some of the Owens Corning products. Apparently they have a line of stuff marketed in the south for "Acoustic Noise Control" which is apparently the same as normal fiberglass heat insulation, just packaged differently and price hiked. It's pink...not 703/705. I became interested because I saw some on a construction site sitting next to bales of mineral wool. Apparently the builders fell hook, line and sinker!

isn't the difference that the owens corning stuff is rigid instead of a soft roll???
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:26 am

Yes and no. Owens-Corning has the soft roll stuff they are marketing as "acoustical." They also sell the rigid stuff as well.
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:58 pm

If you get lucky you may be able to score some cubicle walls for free. Hinge two together with the included hardware and buy some cheap casters from home depot. I did this and they rule. Plus they have material and already made metal frames so you could rip out the insides and put sound insulation in if you like. any place that is going out of business (lot of that right now unfortunately) or remodeling will be tossing old cubicles.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Adriaan
audio school graduate

Post by Adriaan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:14 am

This might come in handy (i know it's about bass-traps, but it's very useful to check out nonetheless)

http://www.runet.edu/~shelm/acoustics/bass-traps.html
-------------------------------------------------------
http://journeythroughsound.wordpress.com