Extension cab for Peavey Classic 30

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sleeprecordings
audio school graduate

Extension cab for Peavey Classic 30

Post by sleeprecordings » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:16 am

hi...i'm shopping around for an extension cab for my peavey classic 30 and have a couple of good offers today, so i'm trying to get some good, quick advice if possible.

i'd appreciate any comments on which of these two would be the best bet...

- Avatar G112 1x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.
- Handmade (well-made) 2x12 cab with Celestion G12L-35's taken from a Marshal 8412 cab.

i play mostly rhythm guitar in a indie/folk/punk band...think jawbreaker, the weakerthans, against me!...and i have play both a telecaster and gibson les paul through it at various times.

tour is in a week...with the price of gas we're trying to make our gear smaller so we can fit everything without a trailer. i'm just trying to fill out the sound a bit and maybe tighten the sound up a bit when cranked (the peavey has a blue marvel in it right now).

thanks in advance.

matt

thegunshy.com

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:00 am

can you hear them in action?

Avatar are "supposed" to be pretty awesome, i've never played through one though, so i can't speak to that.

Word on the street is that the g12 is quick to overdrive and a little less bright and crispy than the v30.

I'd go for the 2x12 if it's built decent and not too big. But i like my speakers to break up relatively easy... and i'm a sucker for a 2x12.

safe travels and have a good time on the road!

sleeprecordings
audio school graduate

thanks

Post by sleeprecordings » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:30 am

that's what i'm thinking...the vintage 30s sound pretty bright. i think the 2x12 might be best for future use as well.

i'm going to see if i can try them out. that would definitely be a good idea.

thanks
matt

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:52 pm

If you're trying to fill out your sound, the darker the better and Marshall cabs are totally the way to go. Of course older, authentic Marshall cabs are a great investment (i.e., 1960B/1964B) but the handmade cab you describe should sound quite tasty. Not as dark as the older cabs but dark enough for "hard rock" sound.

You may want to take a little time to quickly shop for a used cab to consider with the options you already have.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 am

Is your amp a 1x12 combo amp? Rather than spend the money on a cab and speaker, you could get a more premium speaker for your combo like a Celestion Blue, Gold, or Weber Blue or something else in the Alnico family. Folks play single-speaker combo amps live all the time - why lug around an extension cab?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 pm

just to go against the grain I'd say get a 1x12 or 2x12 with JBLs in it.
Once you get mutiple 12's goin its gonna thicken up anyway, and JBLs have that clear but beefy thing.
The other option would be to go Mesa Boogie. They have an astonishing number of cabs they have made ovr the years. If you are doing the big muff thing like dude from jawbreaker used to than you may benefit from a dual rec 2x12. Not sure how hard your ampe would push those though.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Veej007
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Veej007 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey Matt,

Funny you should turn up here. I have a Classic 30 too!

(No useful advice, though.)

Vijith

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:31 pm

I'd think something with a closed back to compliment the open back of the Classic 30. Or like Rolsen says, beef up the existing speaker.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:37 pm

newfuturevintage wrote:I'd think something with a closed back to compliment the open back of the Classic 30. Or like Rolsen says, beef up the existing speaker.
Definitely closed back.

If you want to balance the brightness of the 30 you gotta sling some mud.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna