Logic help please!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

Logic help please!

Post by activesoundmedia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 am

Hi I just got some logic pro 6 files from a studio whos owner pasted away a month ago, and a few bands want me to mix the unfinished sessions. there was a ton of editing done,. so just pulling files to pro tools would be a huge mess.

my question is, if I buy logic express 8, can I open these sessions and mix from there? can I export omf files from express 8 to PT 7.4, or do I need logic sudio 8 for that? also will logic work with my motu 24i/o i use for DP?
thanks all! Ryan :roll:

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:55 am

Logic 8 is backwards compatable with 7, I know for a fact cus i have both, and I would suspect the same goes for 6. It should work fine with your MOTU. However logic express does not have the option to export as OMF, you need to get Pro to do this.
Mmm, lung butter.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Yes, Logic works fine with MOTU stuff.

How much stuff is it, though? If you send it to me, I might be willing to open up the files in Logic and just export them as OMF and send that back to you. I've never done any OMF stuff, but it looks simple enough.

I have Logic 8 Pro, but if firesine is correct about backwards compatibility, then it should just take a minute. If the projects won't open, well,, then I can't help you.

I mean, if you're just looking for an excuse to get Logic, then you could get Logic Express. It's lack of OMF exporting shouldn't stop you from mixing within Logic, and it's a fun program to use.

PM me if you want to send a project over to see if the first idea would work.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Straight from the manual...

Projects saved in Logic 5.x, 6.x, or 7.x format can be imported into Logic Pro 8.
Older songs (saved in Logic versions 4.x or earlier) need to be opened and saved in
Logic 5, 6, or 7 before they can be opened in Logic Pro 8.
Mmm, lung butter.

activesoundmedia
ass engineer

Post by activesoundmedia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Cool! thanks for the offer, but if I can open logic 6 in 8, I will just buy logic express and mix it in there, never hurts to have te software for this reason. If I like it I may buy the upgrade as well. thanks Ryan

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 pm

Yeah, Logic 8 is really cool! What I've seen of ProTools 8 looks modeled after Logic 8, and I can't blame Digi for that.
Mmm, lung butter.

sam_squarewave
audio school

Post by sam_squarewave » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:41 pm

Or you don't even have to upgrade to get the OMF export, you could just export audio from 0, right? Hopefully express can do that...

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:40 am

sam_squarewave wrote:Or you don't even have to upgrade to get the OMF export, you could just export audio from 0, right? Hopefully express can do that...
How do you export from 0? can you do this in every program? I have some DP files that I want to transfer to Logic and I want to use Audiodesk to do it.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:34 am

sad iron wrote:
sam_squarewave wrote:Or you don't even have to upgrade to get the OMF export, you could just export audio from 0, right? Hopefully express can do that...
How do you export from 0? can you do this in every program? I have some DP files that I want to transfer to Logic and I want to use Audiodesk to do it.
In LP8, you have two options;
1. Bounce All cuts contiguous files for each track. I believe this includes any virtual instruments in the project.
2. Freeze does the same thing, but the files aren't labels with the track names like they are when you use Bounce All.
I know for sure Express lets you Freeze. Not sure about Bounce All.
DP is a different story. I've done a little work in 4.5 and 5 and I could never figure out how to do it other than OMF. And the OMF thing was dicey with DP, in my experience. There may be a way to do it using SDII files.
Prog out with your cog out.

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 am

sad iron wrote:
Zero start stems.
Bounce/render every track to audio files that start at 0, note the tempo if relevant.
Import all stems to the new DAW and everything should be in exact sync.
It's the best way to go IMO, as it removes any problems that can occur with OMF and allows importation into any DAW.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 am

Vogon wrote: Zero start stems.
Bounce/render every track to audio files that start at 0, note the tempo if relevant.
OK, so I tried this once in Audiodesk as a triel run and I still ended up with some tracks that didn't have a 0 start time. I just went to each individual track, soloed and bounced. Did I do something wrong?

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:47 am

I don't know Audiodesk at all, but what I used to do in DP was copy a blank sliver of a audio and paste it at "0" on every track. Sounds like a pain but it really only takes a couple of seconds. Then I just highlight everything and then do the "merge soundbites" thing in the Audio menu.

[edit]
obviously, this doesn't bounce the plugins, just merges the track.

I would assume "Bounce All" in Logic does in fact bounce the plugins/automation/etc.?
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 am

DrummerMan wrote:I don't know Audiodesk at all, but what I used to do in DP was copy a blank sliver of a audio and paste it at "0" on every track. Sounds like a pain but it really only takes a couple of seconds. Then I just highlight everything and then do the "merge soundbites" thing in the Audio menu.

[edit]

I would assume "Bounce All" in Logic does in fact bounce the plugins/automation/etc.?
Ah! Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

And yeah, Bounce All does bounce the full mix in Logic. I don't have a mixdown deck (unless you count my Onkyo cassette deck), so I use Bounce All all the time.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:08 am

sad iron wrote:
DrummerMan wrote:I don't know Audiodesk at all, but what I used to do in DP was copy a blank sliver of a audio and paste it at "0" on every track. Sounds like a pain but it really only takes a couple of seconds. Then I just highlight everything and then do the "merge soundbites" thing in the Audio menu.

[edit]

And yeah, Bounce All does bounce the full mix in Logic. I don't have a mixdown deck (unless you count my Onkyo cassette deck), so I use Bounce All all the time.
I'm pretty sure that Bounce creates a file of the 2 mix. Bounce All gives you contiguous files. And I believe they do include plugs and automation (unless you bypass them).
Prog out with your cog out.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:12 am

superaction80 wrote:
sad iron wrote:

[edit]

I'm pretty sure that Bounce creates a file of the 2 mix. Bounce All gives you contiguous files. And I believe they do include plugs and automation (unless you bypass them).
You're right. I was confusing the two.