facing the inevitable: getting a PT system

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 am

actually I see people bash Sonar and Performer in favor of PT all the time on the motu and cakewalk forums.
I have no problem with anyone using PT, I just reserve a little animosity for it the same way I do for Microsoft, Adobe, Intel, the federal reserve bank etc.

But more to the point.
If you are just getting PT to learn it and not produce tracks per se maybe you want to check out the mbox micro. Its only $250, and all it does is playback or edit PT sessions. Actually I guess that is kinda lame, maybe an MBox non-micro would be more on order. I am sure you can find a used one cheapish.
Also check out the Macbook pro G4 12", they made a 1.5ghz model that isnt too shabby. I have seen them work well with an external drive and an Mbox or Digi 001. Not super high track counts, but the crucial parts of PT are editing and getting around in it. the hard shit you cant really replicate in a home studio. Liek syncing with analog 24 tracks and/or video. PITA.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:29 am

Protools. Good software, shit interfaces. If there was a way to use my 2882 without the bloody 002 dongle I'd be a happy man.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:32 am

i am in a similar boat as you -- i want to learn PT and do some editing on a project from a PT studio, but currently have Sonar and PC. I don't want to go through the hassles of trying to convert across platforms, and for the first time ever Sonar (7, with vista) has not been very stable for me.

I am thinking of going either the m-powered route with something like the M-audio transit ($80 and goes up to 96k vs. mbox 48k), plus $200 for mpowered pro tools.

The thing that is killing me is the cost of even a used mac laptop. I have been watching craigslist, there are a fair number there. Maybe with this week's announcement of new macbook/pros current ones will come on the market more. There are also literally hundreds, if not thousands on ebay.

Also the 002R goes on ebay usually for between 500-650. And sorta on topic, where i get confused is the ability to buy PT used. Some auctions mention ilok or non-registered programs, others don't. What happens if you buy used and it is registered or has no ilok? I have never used dongled SW before...
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 am

Wow.
There is almost NO information in this thread, and that is truly NOT the spirit of TapeOp of this messageboard.
Everyone needs to chill the fuck out on debating the relative merits of their chosen recording format. The proof is in the pudding , as they say. Many records have been made many ways, and Protools, cubase, logic, reaper, peak, DP, etc...etc...etc....[inhale] ETC... are all just means to an end.
Please stop bitching incessantly about specific bullshit like delay compensation.
I am saying this as an audio engineer that has loved my "job" for many, many years, not as a moderator.

And now, as a Moderator of this forum: lets get this back on topic, please. Do not bother posting if you just need to gripe about how much you hate protools. I hate wal mart, but I dont need to fucking say it every time someone mentions some piece of crap they sell that works as a pen organizer/ audio diffuser in a "love my pet picture" thread.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

Look for either a macbook or a mac book pro, depending on your budget. I love my
intel based macbook. I have a black one, my wife has a white one. This would work quite well for you with an 002R. If you need to use a bunch of plugs at any point, you should really look for the macbook pro.
Oh, and I moved this to the proper forum: COMPUTER WORLD. :)
enjoy.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:29 am

+1 on the Macbook. I have a 1st gen Macbook (not pro) with 2GB of RAM, and with an 002R (and Alesis AI-3) I'm able to record 16 tracks at once. Since you aren't going to be doing any heavy duty mixing, it seems like that should be all you need.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:36 am

Please keep in mind the new macbook doesn't have firewire. Might want to look used or refurb, unless you are willing to spend more for the macbook pro and get a firewire 800 to 400 adapter.. I am not sure how this works with pro tools though.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:53 am

rwc wrote:Please keep in mind the new macbook doesn't have firewire. Might want to look used or refurb, unless you are willing to spend more for the macbook pro and get a firewire 800 to 400 adapter.. I am not sure how this works with pro tools though.
Wow. That's ridiculous.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:29 am

newfuturevintage wrote: fingers crossed, it could be the new job. Chickens and hatching and all that.

Back to the original question.
Right on, I'd say the suggestions given in the above on-topic posts are good ones. I don't own or use any laptops myself so I wouldn't be able to add anything beyond what's been said. Good luck with the (potential) new job.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:55 am

the finger genius wrote:
rwc wrote:Please keep in mind the new macbook doesn't have firewire. Might want to look used or refurb, unless you are willing to spend more for the macbook pro and get a firewire 800 to 400 adapter.. I am not sure how this works with pro tools though.
Wow. That's ridiculous.
Yes it is. Apple really screwed people like us on this round of laptop updates. If you need Firewire you have to get a Macbook Pro, which is quite a bit more expensive than the Macbooks.

You can still buy the low-end white Macbook for $999, which I assume still has a Firewire 400 port. Or, better yet go to the Apple refurb store and buy one of the older models while you still can.

Buying a refurb is a great way to say a few hundred bucks, and they have the same warranty as a new one.

thecheat
pushin' record

Post by thecheat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:21 am

I managed to get myself a used original MBox for $60 upgraded to 7.4 for another $75. Sorry but I use a PC. so now I can say I have Dem Pwo Tools when the rappers come in.

And 135 bucks is all I can justify on pro tools cause in the 5 years I've run a studio down here 2 people have actually asked about it. Not even for it, just about it.

Is it sad that i had to open the little windows calculator to add 60 to 75?

I see used power and Macbooks on ebay all the time. Mabye a newer/used iMac would help you out if you don't NEED the portability as much

Chris
"It's like Tom Jones Gargling a Hammer."
http://www.alpacaranchrecording.com

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 am

If you're macbook hunting, macmall is closing out the old models (which actually have firewire...)

upgrade the RAM and you should be good to go.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbook/
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 am

I don't think you can get an Intel Mac that will be too underpowered for PTLE in general. Since you are planning on 7.4 -> 8.0, I think you should look for something with Leopard or that can be upgraded to Leopard (I think all Intel Macs may be Leopard-capable).

That being said, a MacBook Pro will always be a better option than a MacBook if you can swing it. Look for the best Intel MBP out there that you can afford. If that's too much, try to get the best Intel MB.

Did you already find a PTLE system? I'm trying to sell my 002 + software + factory bundle w/iLok, and I've had a hard time of it, so it'll be cheap!

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 am

Bahh. Pro Tools sucks...this sucks...that sucks. They're tools people! I've used nearly all of the 'big boy' software (and some of the not so 'big boy' software) and they all have their merits. It's what's best for the person sitting in front of the machine that matters. I've said this many times but you can make good or bad records on anything. Just look at what people did when the affordable recording device of choice was 4-track cassette. Nuff said.

My advice is to find yourself a used 002r. Just make sure you check the serial number so that it ends in the letter G or further down the alphabet. Prior to that you may run into the dreaded power harness issue.

As far as a Mac goes, check out refurbs for sale. You'll get a price cut and still can have a decent warrantee. Considering the demise of firewire 400 on the new macbooks, this might be a better way to go.

If you don't really need the full functionality of the 002s surface controls, there are cheaper alternatives that work well enough for fader/pan controls. I've been using a Behringer BCF2000 and it gets me where I need to go for those purposes.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:02 am

rwc wrote:Please keep in mind the new macbook doesn't have firewire. .
also the new macbook pro only has firewire 800, no 400.
not sure how that matters.
If it was me, and I was just getting this stuff to bone up on PT, I would go with an ancient ass G4 Macbook pro, and an mbox or digi 001.
In my other line of work, IT/networking, I bought a bunch of obsolete networking gear for my home lab. It all works fine, it just doesnt move as fast as the latest greatest. Point being that if its not for production work, just for educational use, there isnt really any point in sinking a lot of cash into it.
I personally know a couple of producers that use very modest macs with very modest interfaces. If all you are doing is editing and maybe a little program equalization/compression than a G4 will run fine. Though not the latest software of course. Can anyone help enlighten this guy about what he would be missing if he went for an older version of PT?

btw, I apologize if I was coming off too heavy being anti-pro tools.
I guess I am just mad because TTS changed sonar 8's edit behaviours to emulate PT's edit behaviours. So I have to re-learn a bunch of stuff.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:21 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:
rwc wrote:Please keep in mind the new macbook doesn't have firewire. .
also the new macbook pro only has firewire 800, no 400.
not sure how that matters.
a 002 is a firewire 400 device, so he'd need fw400 to use it. But I don't know if he's still going in that direction.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/