ribbon ribbon ribbon

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Don't overlook the M130. It's the figure-8 companion to the M160. It's even flatter thru the midrange than the M160 and obviously has the attributes of a small, fairly symmetrical, bidirectional ribbon. Off-axis response is superb, and better than most other ribbons in terms of vertical off-axis response.

I use them all the time on amps. I generally don't mike real close and have yet to do any damage to my M130s. The figure 8 pattern gives a wide range of provimity effect, depending on distrance from the source, and you can mike farther out to get varying mixes of direct and reflected sound in a single mike.

Also, like the M160, it rolls off a bit on the very low end, which generally seems about right for most things, even bass and keyboard parts, though perhaps not kick drum.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:09 am

Cascade Fathead is a hellova ribbon mic for very little money

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 am

M160 is essential for me when tracking electric guitars.

9-out-of-10 times, if I try a different mic, I end up ditching it for, or at the very least, adding the M160 along side it (pairs nicely with 421). Just translates what I want to get out of an amp better than anything else I've tried.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com