ribbon ribbon ribbon

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

ribbon ribbon ribbon

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 am

im on the edge of buying a royer 121!

is there any cheaper alternatives that might be worth looking into? ive heard rave reviews about the m160 but im really looking for room mic / guitar amp situations.

help!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 am

I've never used a Royer, though I have little doubt that it's an awesome mic, but it's worth it to check out the Shiny Box ribbons, especially with upgraded transformers.

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 am

I just bought a Cascade Gomez Michael Joly Edition mic, and I'm loving it on guitar cabs. I've had a lot of luck with that + an Electro Voice RE11 or 664 to mix in. I've actually never had the pleasure of using a Royer on guitar cabs, but I'd also check out the Coles 4038, which I've loved every time I've heard it used, on both guitar and drums.

I've also gotten a lot of use out of the Beyer 160, on guitar cabs, hi-hat and as a drum room mic. If you're looking to spend upwards of a grand, though, I'd definitely definitely check out the 4038.

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:00 am

46mxc sounds nice

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 am

+1 on at least checking out the Coles 4038. It's basically the same price and I have preferred it to the Royer every time I've had the choice between the 2, though some folks feel the exact opposite.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:50 am

im really sold on the royers high SPL though. the 4038's proximity effect for what ive heard seems much stronger!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 am

crowley and tripp?

also: www.proaudioheaven.com
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 am

I'd get the Royer. They do guitar amps right. Lots of other things too, but guitar amps with a Royer just have that certain ooh la la.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 am

i do love the look of that new crowley and tripp! its many pennies though! hard trying to find one in uk!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:52 pm

If you're looking at a Royer, give a listen to the SF-1. No one ever talks about those mics, but they sound vastly superior to the 121s in my opinion. The 121s are kind of cool on guitar amps because of the way the midrange sounds, but that's about it for me. The SF-1 is just a good-sounding mic that can be used on a variety of sources.

The Beyer 160 is also a cool mic, but a totally different thing than the 121 or SF-1. The Beyer is flatter-sounding (closer to the sound of an SF-1 than a 121) and has a cardioid pickup pattern, as opposed to both those Royers, which are figure-eight mics.

On guitar amps, the Oktava ML52 II is a really, really good substitute for the Royer 121. The Royer works a little better on other stuff like horns and drums (where I still prefer the SF-1), but the midrange characteristics of the ML52 and 121 are very similar. I did some side-by-side comparisons when the Oktavas first came out and it was very difficult to tell the difference between the two on a guitar amp.

One of my favorite guitar amp mics is the Beyer M500, which gets more use on my sessions than my M160s. It's very similar in sound to the RCA BK5A (another favorite of mine) and seems to be a pretty robust microphone. It's also relatively inexpensive as far as Beyer ribbon mics go.

Of course, there are the Coles 4038s, which are just insane, but with the value of the dollar being what it is right now, the prices on those are pretty insane, too. (We're actually shopping for a pair of them for the studio right now.)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:06 am

I really like the 121 on guitars. I don't own one, but I've been recorded with them a ton and I am pretty much always psyched about how they sound. They just get that cool mid-range grain and bigness that makes me happy. One of these will for sure be in my future.

I also like the Coles...what's not to like? Seems like overall it would be more pleasing on more sources (DRUMS!!! Big dirty drums). More sensitive to loud volumes, tho...and pretty weighty. You might want to get some good stands if you don't have them.

I can't afford either of those right now (some day!), but I just bought a pair of ShinyBox ribbons with the cinemag transformers. They are significantly less expensive that either the Royer or Coles, but I have to say I am pretty knocked out. So far I have used them mostly as overheads and and room mics and I am so glad I bought them. I think they are little less "ribbony" sounding than the coles, a little clearer top end, but they still have a nice taming effect on cymbals. I barely used it on guitar to get a quick idea down, but I was encouraged by the results. A totally GREAT value, and Jon (who builds them) is a really nice guy.

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:05 am

thanks guys, i'll check out the m500 and the SF-1!!

Fakiekid
takin' a dinner break

Post by Fakiekid » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:16 am

m500's are pretty none existant lool, none on ebay and i cant find anyone selling one.

the sf1, now thats interesting chris! looking at the specs the sf1 is fuller in the low mids but has a lower high spl rating. I really want a ribbon thats going to last me and not go blowing anytime soon so thats a big advantage to me. Although saying that its only 5dB higher.

i wish i could hear them!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 pm

I've blown up two 121s, a BK5A (twice), and two M160s.

Any ribbon mic used on a loud guitar amp is going to be at risk. Generally speaking, it costs about $150 to re-ribbon one. I don't mind having to re-ribbon a mic maybe once a year if I'm using it a lot and getting the sounds I want.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I've only used the 121 on ac. guitar, and thought it was cool. I can vouch for the M160 and the Shinybox. They're both great on lots of sources. The Shinybox is a little mellower/darker sounding to me, so they compliment each other nicely.

If you don't want to worry about damaging the ribbon, I'd get the Crowley and Tripp Naked Eye with the roswellite ribbon. It's the same price as the Royers, and they claim that it's indestructible. Supposedly you can put it inside a kick drum and not have to worry about it. I'm trying to decide between one of those and a Coles to save up for.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com