What is the Deltalab Effectron I? What's the Effectron 256?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

User avatar
Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:58 am

Wow, I can't believe it was $700 back in the day!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

User avatar
blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:32 pm

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:11 am

Wow, I can't believe it was $700 back in the day!
I was thinking the same thing! I picked mine up for $50 bucks and still think I got a deal. While most popular gear seams to be a good investment, that doesnt seem like one of them!
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:00 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:
Wow, I can't believe it was $700 back in the day!
I was thinking the same thing! I picked mine up for $50 bucks and still think I got a deal. While most popular gear seams to be a good investment, that doesnt seem like one of them!
well, this thread will probly contribute to the price sky-rocketing.

now we are all Jack White.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

User avatar
calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: Oakland
Contact:

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:12 pm

does Jack White use one? Or do you just mean he uses vintage gear so the impressionable youth will ebay up the prices of his stuff in general?
A few years ago some band or another featured an ovation magnum in a video or something. All I know is that the price on those basses went up through the roof over night.
Used to be able to get them for $250. Now $600 is normal.
And they are terrible basses. Everybody knows that if you make an instrument out of mahogany and put an ebony fretboard on it you will get terrible tone. The world's largest pickups only make it worse.
As does the 3 bars of graphite embeded in the neck. :wink:
Old Traynors are also going up and up in price.
Not sure if this is vintage factor or just that they are awesome, hand wired tube amps with great transformers on them.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

joel hamilton
zen recordist
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon May 19, 2003 12:10 pm
Location: NYC/Brooklyn
Contact:

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 pm

I have had all of the effectrons... including the brown face "Jr." and the compueffectron, as well as the "acousticomputer."

I have loved all of them.
The best ones though, by far, imho, are still the Effectron II 1024's. They are just so simple and great and sound so awesomely perfect all the time and work for crazy funkadelic style delay tales... like more psych rock than dub, but somewhere in between... And they also work as a pair for a vocal "widener" on a stereo send....
I have been loving the Effectrons since about 1994, when i got my first one.

User avatar
calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: Oakland
Contact:

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:30 pm

whwy isnt there an effectron VST. i have like 10 different delays in my DAW. Including the very nice TC chorus delay and the Sonitus Delay. But none of them do that mid fi thing that the effectron does. None of them do short delays with tons of feedback that get that BBC Radiophonic Workshop kind of sound. On the brink of metalic but not metalic.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:07 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:does Jack White use one? Or do you just mean he uses vintage gear so the impressionable youth will ebay up the prices of his stuff in general?
no, i just meant sometimes ppl start using old and unfashionable gear and the price suddenly jumps for no good reason.
calaverasgrandes wrote:whwy isnt there an effectron VST. i have like 10 different delays in my DAW. Including the very nice TC chorus delay and the Sonitus Delay. But none of them do that mid fi thing that the effectron does. None of them do short delays with tons of feedback that get that BBC Radiophonic Workshop kind of sound. On the brink of metalic but not metalic.
i would buy the shit out of that!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

0xeneye
pushin' record
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by 0xeneye » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm

The deltalab rack delays are definitely useful. They do a couple of things very very well. And, although they are eighties devices, they don't sound eighties at all.

Yes, the number corresponds to milliseconds of delay, approximately.

I have a stompbox for mine, that allows me to kick in one of the four presets. I use it on vocals live exclusively.

Someone on this board knows more about the stompbox than I do, it's kind of a weird hookup...
0x

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 pm

0xeneye wrote:The deltalab rack delays are definitely useful. They do a couple of things very very well. And, although they are eighties devices, they don't sound eighties at all.

Yes, the number corresponds to milliseconds of delay, approximately.

I have a stompbox for mine, that allows me to kick in one of the four presets. I use it on vocals live exclusively.

Someone on this board knows more about the stompbox than I do, it's kind of a weird hookup...
the Super Time-Line manual includes the pinout and gives big hints (perhaps an actual diagram, tho i would have to go look at it again to be sure) about how to roll your own.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

User avatar
ballpein
pushin' record
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:20 am
Location: canada

Post by ballpein » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:01 pm

I just picked up a super time line ADM 512 at an auction for $14 and to my pleasant surprise, it works. The internal battery is corroding and needs to come out of there, other than that it's good.

A couple people have mentioned having manuals for these units. I'd be real grateful to anyone who has the time or inclination to scan one.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5993
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 pm

ballpein wrote:I just picked up a super time line ADM 512 at an auction for $14 and to my pleasant surprise, it works. The internal battery is corroding and needs to come out of there, other than that it's good.

A couple people have mentioned having manuals for these units. I'd be real grateful to anyone who has the time or inclination to scan one.
this guy?

Image

i'll see what i can do about a manual.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

User avatar
ballpein
pushin' record
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:20 am
Location: canada

Post by ballpein » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:28 pm

That's the one!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

User avatar
ballpein
pushin' record
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:20 am
Location: canada

Post by ballpein » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 am

man, this thing is a blast, most fun you can have with 6 knobs, it really is playable. I gapped out on it for about 4 hours last night.

I'd like to recap it, add some memory, and build a pedal for it.

User avatar
shedshrine
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: sf bay area

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 am

ballpein wrote: I'd like to recap it, add some memory, and build a pedal for it.
..and then post copious notes and photos about the process. :D


Found another ad shot, this one from 1982:

Image
Last edited by shedshrine on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ballpein
pushin' record
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:20 am
Location: canada

Post by ballpein » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:37 am

shedshrine wrote:
ballpein wrote: I'd like to recap it, add some memory, and build a pedal for it.
..and then post copious notes and photos about the process. :D
Yeah, I'll be happy to. I haven't had any luck coming up with a schematic just yet, and there's shockingly little discussion of these babies over on groupdiy. I'm almost ready to break down and buy a schematic. Over the weekend I'm going to start identifying some of the ICs, and try to identify the ram chips. There's instructions around for upgrading the memory on an effectron, but it lists a specific ram chip which I don't believe (from the quick peak I've had) are the same on my unit - so it remains to be seen if one can still find pin-compatible ram chips for these babies.
Last edited by ballpein on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests