kick a dead horse: McCartney bass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:05 am

I have a set of black tape Roto Sound's on my Precision bass. They do sound meaty & thick!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:25 am

Dr Rubberfunk wrote:
RefD wrote:flat-wound strings were common back then, so that may have been a factor.
Rotosound make a big deal about how 'Tru Bass' black nylon strings were used on Abbey Road, which I guess they wouldn't do if there wasn't some truth behind it. I got a set for my short scale Tokai EB copy and they certainly have the macca thunk.

I haven't stumped up for the Beatles book yet (and now the ? is falling against the $ - oh noes!! :) ) so I don't know if the Tru Bass strings get a mention in there ...

I read somewhere else that La Bella strings were likely to be Sir Paul's more usual choice back in the day, and I see La Bella now make a set specifically recommended for the Hofner 'Beatle' bass: http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelect ... ofner.html - but also make a black nylon set too .... just to confuse matters further :?
the few shots i've seen of him playing bass for those sessions were the Ric bass with metal strings, not nylon tape-wound.

it's entirely possible they were used at some point, but some of the more rockin' sounds were definitely not nylon.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 am

I remember reading years ago that he used Pyramid strings on his Hofners.

[<|>]

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:36 am

he's been quoted as saying he uses "long, shiny ones".
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:52 am

RefD wrote:he's been quoted as saying he uses "long, shiny ones".

McCartney (and, when he was alive, Lennon) always seem to go a little too far with the "I don't know what kind of gear I use" act.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:09 am

dwlb wrote:

McCartney (and, when he was alive, Lennon) always seem to go a little too far with the "I don't know what kind of gear I use" act.
McCartney didn't seem to be like that on that special he did in 2006 at Abbey Road studio 2, however.

in fact, (for him) he bordered on gear nerd territory when it came to demonstrating the the Studer (?) 4-track and the Mellotron.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:41 am

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:

McCartney didn't seem to be like that on that special he did in 2006 at Abbey Road studio 2, however.

in fact, (for him) he bordered on gear nerd territory when it came to demonstrating the the Studer (?) 4-track and the Mellotron.
Which is what tipped me off that he was faking it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:47 am

dwlb wrote:
RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:

Which is what tipped me off that he was faking it.
well, consider he came up at a time when getting a good sound was a big secret and everyone guarded their methods very closely.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:04 am

Good evening, and welcome to slaggers.

flatwounds definitely. I think a Rick bass was used a lot more than everyone let on, although I haven't read the Beatles recordin book. Don't forget that a sweet melodic bass line will interact differently with the mix compared to a boring line. I think they were aiming at the Motown sound, both melodically and tonally, so the bass tends to have its own little pocket, and doesn't fight with the bass/snare, knowing when NOT to play especially. Although McCartney did tend to wank a little, but so did George with his Indian music and John...oh John.

Ok.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:54 am

The key to Paul's sound lies in Paul's hands.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:06 am

There's no doubt that a tracks sound is first and foremost influenced by the musician playing it. I don't find it all that hard to write sweet bass lines (or steal Mc's). I just was never able to get that crazy tone.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:30 am

I think also that Paul used a pick & palm muted a lot.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:04 am

bluesman wrote:I think also that Paul used a pick & palm muted a lot.
yup, and he still plays that way.

Chaconne
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chaconne » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:19 am

The style of play is 90% of it.
Sure - to sound exactly like it you need exactly the same gear - but who wants that?

Macca was influenced a lot by Karol Kaye, and you can hear this on Pet Sounds. She used a Fender, with a foam mute, but mainly played with a pick with lots of controlled palm mute, and often used melodic figurations in the upper registers - or used notes in thier higher positions - sometimes they cut through better -

I found the Danelectro DC bass to be an excelent replacement for a hofner - if you play this with pick and palm mute its instant sixties.

I had to do a lot of shopping to get a Fender with a similar sound - but found that the vintage re-issues do the trick - but mainly its practice using heavy picking with controlled palm muting to control note lengths - and heavy compression - as mentioned above.

Its worth getting tabs - just to see what he is doing.

Sure its can get a little sweet, but a world away from todays 'dissapearing basslines under a wall of srtummed fuzz'

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:33 pm

What would Marnie Stern do?