A preamp for all seasons...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Post by sdelsolray » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 pm

I only record solo fingerstyle and classical guitar. The pres I have are (i) Pendulum Audio MDP-1a (tube), (ii) Pendulum Audio SPS-1 (SS) and (iii) ADK AP2 (SS) with 5 op amp pairs and 4 input transformer pairs.

The most versatile pre is the ADK, which is not surprising given the 20 different input transformer/op amp combinations I have. It's a robust build basically modeled after an API 3xx design. I can go from very clean and fast to darker and slow.

Both Pendulum units are very nice - the MDP-1a is sensual and euphonic and the SPS-1 is pleasing and full.

Of course, the mics used influence things quite a bit.

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:55 am

ipressrecord wrote:There's a new kid in town that may end up being THE MAN: http://www.blacklionaudio.com/auteur.html

$325, two channels. Simple.

Jeff
alright. you've peaked my interest.
trouble clef.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:27 am

I'm interested too. I want to see a little more about them. There is a shortage of reviews. Unfortunately the uber-cheap price is only if you buy one before the month is over.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 pm

The only "universal" mic amp I can think of is a John Hardy. "Clean" but with plenty of "thickness" to it. That said, my old Bryston BMP-2 comes pretty close too. If you ever see one of these on ebay for cheap, grab it.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:01 pm

I once had a Germanium, years ago when they first came out, had to sell it.
It's years later and many a preamp have come out since then. I was recently in the market to buy a good single or dual channel pre to add to my setup (only pres I have are the Ensemble, clean, do-the-job, but boring). I considered Vintech, UA, GR, Portico, API A2D, GT Supre, Arsenal, you name it. Lo and behold, I settled on yet another Germanium. I got it delivered this morning, set it up and have been playing with it all day, and in a nanosecond realize why I liked it so much. That thing is just incredible.

Now I want a TG-2, 2 Germ Compressor, 2 Germ EQ's, the Curve Bender, TG1 Limiter and the Zener, HA HA!!! :lol:

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:27 pm

The only "universal" mic amp I can think of is a John Hardy. "Clean" but with plenty of "thickness" to it.
The Hardy M-2 is my desert-island preamp.

I love Millennia, I love API 3124, True P-8's are nice, Sytek is nice, but if I were only allowed to have one pre to use on everything and anything, it would be a John Hardy M-2.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:11 am

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ht=#509969

I highly encourage everyone to pick up their soldering irons and get busy!
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:43 pm

sdelsolray wrote:I only record solo fingerstyle and classical guitar.
I too record my share of classical guitar. I've really had to wrestle with quite a few different techniques and options, but it's been a great education.

The pre that I've stood by consistently has been the Universal Audio 2 - 610. It's just a great sound. Quite frankly you can carve a whole lot of tones with this single tool, but the same goes for many others I'm sure. Like others I enjoy using just a few preamp models when recording (2-3 at most). I use the 610 to record everything from guitars, vox, cabs, drums, room, noise, etc.

In the end I think it comes down to working with a single piece of equipment long enough to just know how to use it and get what you want from it. There's also the argument that perhaps you should let the gear make its own mark on the music, rather than nit-picking every nuance (although I do love drooling over gear).

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:01 pm

I have an M-1 Deluxe and a 2-610, and think both have their merits. I get great results using a channel of the M-1 w/ a 414B/ULS in omni @ the 12th fret of my HD-28, and a channel of the 2-610 w/ a 4033 right behind the bridge.

I've only recently been introduced to the 512C and the Juggernaut, but was instantly impressed by their performance on acoustic. I say try out what you can, and make your decision from there.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

rwc
resurrected

Re: A preamp for all seasons...

Post by rwc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Jon Nolan wrote: Anybody else have strong opinions about ..preamps
yes

get a board, or a console, and use the ones in there.

or make one for under $60 from the link I posted before.

what preamp is good for a green guitar on a wednesday are precisely the kind of questions that take time and energy away from stuff that's actually important.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York