signal splitting/multing question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bobbyd
audio school graduate

signal splitting/multing question

Post by bobbyd » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks to all who make this board such a valuable place for the novice recordist to visit!

I have been putting together what I think is a pretty decent bang-for-the- buck input signal chain (hamptone jfet, summit tla 50, bla sparrow). I decided that I would really like to track using parallel compression, so I achieved this by splitting the signal after the hamptone with a crappy behringer mixer, running one output uncompressed into one input of the sparrow, and running the compressed signal into the other.

But it occurred to me that my signal quality was at the mercy of the weak link in the signal chain (the mixer of course), and some quick a/b tests seemed to support this idea.

So my question is both a general one about the best way to do what I want to do, and also perhaps a more specific one about particular pieces of gear, if anyone has any in mind.

In particular, I would like to know what people think about the different points in the chain that one can split a signal. I have seen a Rane device that would do the trick after the preamp, as well as the chandler wet/dry thing which I imagine would be great for my purposes, but is sadly way out of my budget atm. But I then realized that I could split the microphone level signal, and then use both channels of the hamptone. Would this latter option be the most cost-efficient way to avoid degrading signal quality?

Thanks ahead of time for any help :D

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Why shouldn't you do the parallel compression once your signal is in the box? During the mixing process as opposed to during recording. It's very easy and handy to have a dry track saved and an effected track saved.

bobbyd
audio school graduate

Post by bobbyd » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:08 pm

Well, there certainly are ways of doing it itb, either by using plugins, or by running the dry track out of my daw, and rerecording on another track. But I would like to take advantage both of my summit comp's nice sound and the convenience of getting a dry and a compressed track recorded simultaneously.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:30 pm

A "Y" cable after the preamp will do it. Most times you would do this with a patchbay. Taking the mult from a half normalled bay.

bobbyd
audio school graduate

Post by bobbyd » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks for the replies. I am still curious as to what effect signal-splitting has on signal quality. I assume that the two signals that are split off will be of lower level than the "parent" signal. Is the amount of gain needed to correct for this negligible, or do I run the risk of having to turn up my pre (or other gain stages) past desirable operating levels? Also, in what, if any, situations is it worthwhile to split a signal before the pre, rather than after? I do plan on getting some new cables soon, and will make some y-cables to answer some of these questions myself.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40 pm

I like the idea of splitting and recording both signals. If you must combine before recording you could use this:

http://www.brentaverill.com/products/in ... ?itemnum=4

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:48 pm

as far as I know (and could be totally wrong), a Y cable simply sends the signal to 2 places. No degradation should occur. I do not notice any reduction in quality when doing that from headphones or splitting a signal anywhere else. technically the same thing, really. Like I said, I could be totally wrong here... just my observations.
Blah!

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:02 pm

bobbyd wrote: Thanks for the replies. I am still curious as to what effect signal-splitting has on signal quality.
None.
bobbyd wrote: I assume that the two signals that are split off will be of lower level than the "parent" signal.
It really shouldn't be.
bobbyd wrote: Also, in what, if any, situations is it worthwhile to split a signal before the pre, rather than after? I do plan on getting some new cables soon, and will make some y-cables to answer some of these questions myself.
You don't want to split it before the preamp with a Y-cable because the mic will see the input impedance of both preamps and it will affect the sound. The reason that you can split the signal after the preamp is because the impedances of everything are high enough to not affect anything.

bobbyd
audio school graduate

Post by bobbyd » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:34 pm

Thanks again for the replies. I made a y-cable, and my subsequent experience splitting the signal after the pre corroborates what has been said in this thread. I am now happily parallel-compressing away. :D