Electro Voice RE-11

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cleantone
takin' a dinner break

Electro Voice RE-11

Post by cleantone » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 pm

I just picked up a pair off of ebay. I have been trying to increase my dynamic collection. I like my EV635a and thought I would try this mic out. I searched and read a bit here. I also wanted to post to see if some folks would chime in with there experiences and such. Thoughts? Oh and PS there are two for sale in the sales section of this forum. I payed a couple of dollars more than he is asking but these two look pretty mint and supposedly were only used as talk back mics for the last 20 years.

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:23 pm

I have one of these, LOVE it on guitar cabs. Great complement to a ribbon mic; gets a lot of attack and midrange "honk." I think EV originally made these as vocal mics, but I've never tried mine on vocals.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:15 am

I used to use an RE11 as my main live vocal mic. I liked it a lot.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 am

I use one as a random, "wild card" room mic for drums.
Sometimes I use it for the front (reso) side of the kick drum, for a more "vintage" sounding kick sound. TONS of low mid/upper bass so you get a very chesty kick.
Works well for the same reason under a snare drum: lots of oomph, without a ton of top end.
I have had this mic since like '93 or something, when I got it in a pawn shop for something like 10 dollars or less. I dont remember, but I have carried this thing with me all over the place.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:54 am

I bought mine in a pawn shop for $8.00 including tax.....I kept it & used it as my main live vocal mike for years before trading it even for an RE20.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

oh_sweet_nuthin
audio school

Post by oh_sweet_nuthin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 pm

bluesman wrote:I used to use an RE11 as my main live vocal mic. I liked it a lot.
On several occasions I've used the re11 as a scratch vocal mic, and it ended up being the one we used on the mix. If you are recording a whole band at once, it had a tight pattern that works well.

It also sounds great on electric guitar and pedal steel.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 am

Just more of what everyone else said I suppose. I am amazed at what both the re11 and re10 can add to a kit from 10-12 feet back. Lots of kick awesomeness in the right place, adding both attack and thump. It can be bizzare really. Great for sort of rolled off vocals as well. Does good guitar amp.

mr. nick
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mr. nick » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 pm

i used it as a kick mike for a country record, we tuned the kick to the mic, and never thought twice about it.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:41 am

I like to use it in place of a 58 / 57 alot of the time... sounds cool on cabs, toms and i really dig it on snare.

cleantone
takin' a dinner break

Post by cleantone » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 am

Finally used these last weekend. I put one under a snare and one on a high hat for a live show recording. The snare bottom mic went to a JBL 7510a (made by Urei) and sounded sick!!! I haven't started a mix as I am still recording the artist but on the day in the cans it was awesome. I might use them as overheads tonight.

Joe P.
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Joe P. » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:16 am

I'm using one as the Mid in M/S drum overheads. Seems well suited in that task, I've got the low-cut engaged.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:00 am

joel hamilton wrote:I use one as a random, "wild card" room mic for drums.
Sometimes I use it for the front (reso) side of the kick drum, for a more "vintage" sounding kick sound. TONS of low mid/upper bass so you get a very chesty kick.
Works well for the same reason under a snare drum: lots of oomph, without a ton of top end.
I have had this mic since like '93 or something, when I got it in a pawn shop for something like 10 dollars or less. I dont remember, but I have carried this thing with me all over the place.
Ditto. This type of mic invariably ends up being used as a talkback for some band member in the tracking area and then later gets pushed up during the mix. The usual reaction is "Wow! Those drums sound great!"