What Did You Work On Today? Tuesday, October 21st, 2008

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? Tuesday, October 21st, 2008

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:58 pm

So, I figure it's about time again. What did you work on today? Tuesday, October 21st, 2008.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:12 pm

i tried to make the word DOESN'T sound less like DOES since it changed the meaning of the lyric which disappointed the artist. since he was not available to come and re-sing it and it's the very last little detail waiting to be done on his double album project we were trying to work with available tracks and material on his already sung takes.

so - i used 3 unused vocal takes to sing on that one line and volume ramped up the "doesSNT" parts to try and make it sound less like DOES.

then i sent it to a friend and asked him to tell me what the lyrics were. he said it sounded like the word DOES to him.

shoot.

upon further inspection it was made clear that the artist sung DOESN - leaving out the T completely. the friend who i tested the lyric on and I agreed that the T was the crucial missing element.

shooot.

so then i went and stole a few "T"s from other places in the song and superimposed them onto the tracks in the place it was missing. its still a
little bit dodgy. but its better than it was. i hate fudging stuff. sometimes it's the only way.

shoot.

(also today i tried to be less argumentative on the tape op board :)
the new rules : there are no rules

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:12 pm

Hooking up the freshly modded board and forgetting to push one crucial button, then pushing it and being amazed by the improvement in audio qualities. Happiness.
Harumph!

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:14 pm

I don't even remember...

Vocal-heavy "Tori-ish" project this morning, Gospel-rock this afternoon, taking a break from some overly-mid-rangey metal right now.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Tried to take the day off sick (I really was feeling kinda bad), ended up being called in for a session anyway. In and out in half an hour, went back home. Slept.

After a nap, made some more edits to a short film, threw in some placeholder sound effects and made a DVD for the director to check out.

Evening: gave birthday presents to my business partner, ate some cake, worked on getting some products placed in some national retail chains. Also came up with another idea for a script and fleshed it out a bit.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Rebuilding my DAW. :evil:

My motherboard blew up, no idea why. But that was an Athlon 3500+ with 2GB RAM. My new combo is a Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz, 1333 FSB with 4G of RAM, so it should be noticeably faster. :twisted:

Still working on it now, it's being a PITA.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 pm

file transfers for The Rationales

ripped out carpet in a clients' new studio. i am renting a mix room above his new place.

tomorrow, crazy mix revisions for like 4 artists.

so goes the way of mixing in the box.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 pm

An average Tuesday for me. Accompaning dance classes, teaching drum students and watching poker on TV. Then a good long chat with Garges.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:52 pm

Waited around for a couple of hours until the waste-management-type folks came to clear out all the demolition crud from the deconstruction of my new studio space in progress. Then proceeded to bask in the glowing emptiness/neatness of it for a bit while I had a cup of coffee.

Worked on (and finally finished) editing a sax solo that I recorded in June for my band's next release, the basic tracking of which was recorded about a year ago.

Finally got notes on revisions to some soundtrack music I'm writing for a sketch comedy thing. The director (who's the one who got me the job and is who my main contact is) is really hating this series of shorts we're working on, so has been procrastinating on his end, and on not telling me what I need to/should be doing, so it was nice to get some feedback. I'm now working on said revisions, though I took a few hours break to watch the end of season 2 of Dexter with the wife. She's off to bed, so it's back to work for Daddy...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:35 am

All this week I'm holding a boom mic and following a video guy around who's making a documentary of The Sonatas, a piano camp/retreat/workshop/drinking club. Working title is THE GIANT MUSIC BOX-- multiple layers of meaning, hopefully. First, the house itself has about 25 pianos, half of them grands-- in nearly every room, on the porches, on the landings of stairs... One legendary time everyone started playing Pachelbel's Canon on cue on every piano. Philosophically, everyone who's ever gone there is connected psychically by the creative vortex or energy field that exists in and around the house. It's fascinating to listen to everyone's story of how they stumbled onto the place, which over the years has been about four thousand people (or as the director likes to put it, 40,000 fingers.)
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:51 am

Sat around and waited for my post-cold ears to even out before trying to do a mix. After much forced yawning, I got tired of waiting and said "screw it" and did some work anyway. It sounded like my right ear was 3db quieter than my left. Hopefully I don't have to fix too much today.
Then my pal DJ Apryl Reign came over and we continued to work on our collaboration project. I'd been listening to Brian Blade's "Fellowship" earlier in the day and had drawn some inspiration from it. Its a Blue Note jazz release that was produced by Daniel Lanois at Teatro. Really cool sounding record. Imagine a modern jazz record (not contemporary, modern) that recalls Jack Dejohnette's Special Edition series, but with a side of pedal steel, mando guitar, ebo, and all Lanois' favorite bells and whistles. And that lovely big room sound that Teatro had.
Prog out with your cog out.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:15 am

Just picked up a Fishman Aura pedal to try on my acoustic guitars- I wanted something that I can record direct for demos and sound design gigs without making it sound too cheesy and without setting up microphones. I'll give a report later.

Since I'm still on hiatus, I was painfully reminded that my calluses on my fingers were gone :D

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 am

Started work on a collab project with a guy in California. His band recently broke up and I'm working with him to finish some recorded material. It's paid work and it's fun considering that it's my first time working with Japanese rock music.

I also sat down with the 'Electronic Projects for Musicians' book so that I can decide what project I'd like to do first. I think I might do the ultra-fuzz first.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:03 am

did the final round of edits on a 9 year old improv record i dug outta the vault a couple weeks ago. i am probably the only person who will think it's any good, but i think it's great.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:10 pm

I edited a faculty trumpet recital and turned it into a CD, made 6 copies with my tower burner, made a CD design for the thermal printer, printed on the CDs, put CDs in slim line cases and made an invoice for the service rendered, placed the invoice and completed CDs by the door and hand delivered on Wednesday morning.