md421 old or new?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

syrupcore
deaf.

md421 old or new?

Post by syrupcore » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Looking to get another dynamic mic and from reading around, I've decided to try out an md421. On ebay, there are a lot of different "vintages" available. Is there one to steer clear of? Particularly tasty vintage? I'm down for new too but with 40 year pedigree, thought I should ask. I do like the look of them cream colored ones, I know that.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 pm

From what I hear the 421 II is not the same beast.
The older cream/grey ones have a different Tuchel connector. Adapters are available.

Kool mics is in all vintages but pre II's are "the ones to own".

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Remember that not all old things age the same way. Is that 30-year old 421 going to be something that spent 20 years in front of a chain-smoking radio DJ, or being thrashed on stage in a bar, or being tenderly loved in a clean & climate-controlled studio? Now ultimately any old 421 you buy will sound however it sounds, and you're bound to like it on something. Just because the '57 Chevy is a classic car, it doesn't mean that the rusted chassis of one that has been rotting in the grass of a mid-west farm for 25 years is worth spending all your money on.
The current 421s are fabulous microphones, and at least you know that you'll get something predictably good, and matchable, and replaceable.

As for whether there is any particular "cult of old" around the early 421s, I'm sure there are people out there who insist on it. But the sound those guys love isn't necessarily the sound you're going to buy.

-Jeremy

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 am

Professor wrote:The current 421s are fabulous microphones, and at least you know that you'll get something predictably good, and matchable, and replaceable.

As for whether there is any particular "cult of old" around the early 421s, I'm sure there are people out there who insist on it. But the sound those guys love isn't necessarily the sound you're going to buy.

-Jeremy
Devil's advocate position: All the old 421s I've ever heard did have a certain character in common. The two black 421-u5s I e-bayed in separate auctions sound indistinguishable.

(Whether there's any significant difference with the II's, I dunno. On paper they're different, not sure how much it matters in combat, never used a II.)

Sure, old 421s got stuck on drums or used in live situations and abused -- but worst case, Sennheiser puts a NOS capsule in and you've got an old 421 for the price of a new one. And if you get a good one by the luck of the draw, you've saved money. Old 421s are common as blades of grass, and not wildly fashionable. Might be a contender for best used mic under $250.

ymmv

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone.

Jeremy, I'm not "vintage" charmed at all. I'd rather buy new/local than old/ebay, particularly on a mic I've never heard for myself - all things being equal. 40 years of production lead me to believe all things were not, in fact, equal.