Precautions of Ribbon Mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

petreestow
alignin' 24-trk

Precautions of Ribbon Mics

Post by petreestow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Listen, I just picked up the Cascade Fathead Bluelein package, and I wanted to make sure I asked a few Q's before I put these guys to work.

I hear Ribbon Mics are rather fragile, so I just wanted to get an idea of how far I should keep them away from a guitar amp / drum set without blasting them.

Also, what are some techniques you use to record drums / guitars with these guys?

And does anyone understand the Suggested Placement / Panning Manual that comes along with the package?

thanks guys and gals!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Ribbons are fun. :-)

Note that it is mainly direct blasts of air on the fragile ribbon. Most ribbon mics can handle seriously high SPLs. So, for vocals always use a pop filter. If you move it around the room, cover it with the "sock" that comes with it. Keep the mic away from vents/ports on a speaker cabinet. etc. Do whatever you have to do in order to avoid a blast of air hitting the ribbon.

I love ribbons for guitars, both electric and acoustic. Just put on some headphones and play with placement.

If you are recording a band, put the blumlein pair in the center of the room. Have the bassist be placed opposite the drummer, and the 2 guitars or guitars/keys opposite, going into the other mic. Make sure they are acoustically balanced in the room, and you'll get a great recording there. Then close mic everything or take a direct signal. Plenty of good stuff to pick from during the mix.