tracking harmonica

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

tracking harmonica

Post by aaronaustin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:20 am

I'm having a hard time coming up with a good harp sound. I'm using a blues harp and I've tried out a bunch of mics and preamps and can't come up with much. My ADK TC through the OSA L3 is accentuating a little too much high end in the wrong places. A Heil PR20 or Cascade Fathead are getting a little honky. The ADK A51 is close, but still lacking. Anybody got any suggestions? This isn't a blues riff or anything. It's Americana kinda stuff. Anything to get unstuck. I'm gonna go track vocals.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:30 pm

How close to the mic is the instrument? Try backing away and/or slightly off axis.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

Post by aaronaustin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:51 pm

I may try off axis. I was about 4-5 ft. out from the mic. Thanks.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:46 pm

I've had good results on folky Neil Young-ish harmonica with an SM-7.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Best harmonica sound I've gotten was with a Shure 330 (re-ribboned by Marik) through a JLM 99v preamp. I didn't need any EQ at all. Sat right on top of the mix.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:29 pm

I liked the sound of a Sure Beta 52 on a harmonica in a Folk-Americana song a friend of mine did. That was through a Mackie pre.
Mmm, lung butter.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:37 am

I have generally double-miked harmonica: one mic is the "clean" mic, an AKG 414 or Shure KM44, or sometimes an EV 667, and right next to it a "dirty" setup-- Shure SM58 or 545 running into a small guitar amp, which is then miked with another 58 or 545. Print to two tracks and blend to taste.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 am

This sounds dumb, but I've never had problems getting a decent mic sound when I leave up the condenser I was recording vocals with, with the pop filter in front of it. I record the harp in front of the popfilter about a foot away from the condenser. Sounds like what it sounds like. Not the most character, but a straight delivery.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:25 pm

losthighway wrote:This sounds dumb, but I've never had problems getting a decent mic sound when I leave up the condenser I was recording vocals with, with the pop filter in front of it. I record the harp in front of the popfilter about a foot away from the condenser. Sounds like what it sounds like. Not the most character, but a straight delivery.
Absolutely! That's all I've done anytime it's just straight harp....it's all over my record as well. In my case, the SM-7 and the RED B7 did a stellar job. When I record myself this way, I actually do NOT use the pop filter and I'll even rest my pinky on the capsule and just *slightly* cup for just a taste of vibe.

Sounds great!

[dt]

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Re: tracking harmonica

Post by percussion boy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:24 pm

aaronaustin wrote:My ADK TC through the OSA L3 is accentuating a little too much high end in the wrong places.
It seems like some of the other suggestions are either for mics with a more inconspicuous upper range (e.g., ribbon) or a real pretty one (vocal condenser).

I like the tc but it isn't either one of those things. Its best feature (that big bottom it can get) is pretty useless for the frequencies where the harmonica lives, I would think.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 am

losthighway wrote:This sounds dumb, but I've never had problems getting a decent mic sound when I leave up the condenser I was recording vocals with, with the pop filter in front of it. I record the harp in front of the popfilter about a foot away from the condenser. Sounds like what it sounds like. Not the most character, but a straight delivery.
Not dumb at all. Most of the time when I use the setup I described above, the only thing that changes from a/the vocal tracking setup is the addition of the "dirty" mic, the one through the amp.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

Post by aaronaustin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:00 pm

thanks for all of the responses. this really helps. There are some great ideas to try here. Also, percussion boy, thanks for the info on the TC. I guess I should have realized that by now, but I haven't had a decent monitoring setup for very long. I've been spending a lot of time tracking drums with them and they work great for that. I guess I just picked up the most expensive mic I had and figured I should use it for vocals *gasp*. So, I was actually just trying to use my vocal setup for the harp. I guess this has helped me see that I really need to change out vocal mic, cause the problems with the harp have made me realize how much vocals are lacking. I've been thinking about trying out a heil pr30 or 40, but the cash isn't there right now. I figure that's more along the lines of the SM7.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Usually direct in front of the pop screen -- An AT 4033 aiming slightly above the harp ---running through a Manley DVC
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:15 am

I've usually found an off-axis mic to help out - usually aiming from above...sometimes slightly off to the side. I do really like ribbons on the harmonica. An M160 can be good and found the Crowley & Tripp Naked Eye to be kind of a magical harmonica mic. I like using two mics, one of them being a condenser quite a ways off...like 6-8 feet away. I'll just move around the studio with the condenser until the blend with the close mic clicks. Oddly enough, I've gotten some of the best results with a close mic and a SDC way off to the side and near to the floor.

One mic I like to point out and suggest for harmonica is, believe it or not, the AKG D112. Kinda drab on a kick drum (IMHO), but it gets an awesome retro kind of tone on harmonica. Try it out if you have one.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:04 am

i recommend micing up a small tube guitar amp, fender champ or such, with a crystal mic, if you want that kind of bluesy distorted tone. if you want clean then don't go there!