gearslutz ADA8000 vs Lynx thread on fire

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

gearslutz ADA8000 vs Lynx thread on fire

Post by grockvt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:42 pm

not sure if this is cool to do or not but the gearslutz beringitis vs lynx thread is on fire...anyone think a beringer does NOT sound better than a lynx? better read that thread!
end

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:09 pm

i only read gearslutz when there is legitimate discussion between posters whose opinions i respect(wwittman, slipperman, jim williams)

for the most part I strongly dislike how every thread goes there

neve mic preamps often lose these shootouts but they often win in context. this is one reason I don't partake in these shootouts.

There are lots of threads I read there where I feel I've legitimately learned something, or even graduated to a higher level of thinking because of my newly gained perspective.

it's never happened in a shootout thread. :roll:
Last edited by rwc on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Interesting. In listening to the samples, I think A is the Aurora, B is the Behringer. A seems to have a bit more high-end sparkle, but I think B has more depth.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:27 pm

The Behringer is an incredible value for the money. The unit gets even better re-capped with Nichicon caps. I am sure the Lynx would be improved too.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Look at the ICs in the analog stages as well.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:00 pm

What does this prove?
When does any of this matter?
If I am mixing a band nobody cares about with 20 billion dollars worth of gear: nobody cares.
If I am mixing a record everybody cares about with 380 dollars worth of gear: everybody cares.

I am interested in music, and good sounds. I dont give a crap about this sort of shootout type of shit. Not an attack on anyone, but I just want to ay for the record that I personally think this sort of thing is moot, and far from positive or beneficial.
If I could see how this sort of thing could benefit anyone in the recording arts, then maybe I would participate.
I dont, so I wont.
Thanks for the heads up.
I agree with whoever said there are people over there that have a lot of info and experience, they are great.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:17 pm

joel hamilton wrote:What does this prove?......
I am interested in music, and good sounds...........
If I could see how this sort of thing could benefit anyone in the recording arts, then maybe I would participate.

Well I guess it could be argued that a great record can be made on substantially more econo gear.
That's a great thing.

Blind testing is the kind of testing that shows us that some of (but not all of) the hype of audiophile gear is exactly that... Hype. Not to say a top notch converter isn't worth it's price, yet, if folks (peers) agree that a $199.00 8 channel converter can get within earshot of a Lynx converter.... hey..... It's now up to the artist and the engineer to come up with a great record, and we don't have to get a second mortgage to do so.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:42 pm

this is still a retarded test

what makes great A/D great A/D is when you do stuff to your audio in addition to how it sounds upfront with a ton of different sources as well.

boosting the highs with a plugin on something recorded with a high end A/D is a lot nicer than doing any further processing with something recorded through a behringer.

then

Oscar Wilde

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

e.maynard wrote:Blind testing is the kind of testing that shows us that some of (but not all of) the hype of audiophile gear is exactly that... Hype.
bullshit. sorry, but that's bullshit. I have never, ever, in all these years of those stupid "blind tests", seen even one that has actually proven anything. Those tests don't ever tell me anything about how I would use a certain piece of gear or technique in my own studio. Or what COMBINATIONS of those pieces of gear and techniques will add up to magic in my hands.
e.maynard wrote:Not to say a top notch converter isn't worth it's price, yet, if folks (peers) agree that a $199.00 8 channel converter can get within earshot of a Lynx converter.... hey..... It's now up to the artist and the engineer to come up with a great record, and we don't have to get a second mortgage to do so.
This is what those tests do. They make people feel better about not being able to have gear that they lust after. I don't understand why some people need these subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) reinforcements. I guess I just don't spend enough time worrying about what I don't have to even care how the stuff I do have stacks up to much more expensive stuff.

It's funny. You'd think that those tests on Gearslutz would serve to primarily inform people who are in the market for the tested gear about the capabilities of gear that they're interested in. But, in reality, 99% of the people who post in those threads aren't in the market for a $2000 converter or a $2000 preamp. Most of them are just there to have it reinforced to them that what they have is pretty good, and the improvement that is able to be demonstrated by someone else, somewhere else, who doesn't have any idea how they work, is really not worth all the extra money to them.

But, really... who gives a shit what their "peers" think about the gear that they use?!?!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:12 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:rket for the tested gear about the capabilities of gear that they're interested in. But, in reality, 99% of the people who post in those threads aren't in the market for a $2000 converter or a $2000 preamp. Most of them are just there to have it reinforced to them that what they have is pretty good, and the improvement that is able to be demonstrated by someone else, somewhere else, who doesn't have any idea how they work, is really not worth all the extra money to them.
funny, maybe we've read different threads but I see the opposite. like the apogee guy patting himself on the back.

Or maybe I read more into the opposite kind of posts.

shootouts serve to make one feel more secure in their investment with a high priced purchase, and make the cheapgearguy feel like he got a bargain with a low cost purchase

they both have the same thing in common

insecurity.

if you substituted a few choice words describing audio specific characteristics, and names, you could pass it off as a discussion of WWF RAW or SMACKDOWN and no one would have a clue the conversation was originally about audio.

the MENTALITY is to choose a side, and see it win.

not to actually come to any real concrete conclusion.

those threads are an insult on REAL blind testing. to compare this to floyd toole's work with the NRC is like comparing the beatles to katy perry.

Oscar Wilde

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:48 pm

... I never liked Gearslutz either....
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:08 am

Wonder if any of those folks could write a good song in the time it took to do all that testing and listening...
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 am

I am not musically inclined in anyway so no wonder I'm stuck here reading those threads. :twisted:

Oscar Wilde

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:15 am

Good music can be made with cheap equipment or the top of the line gear. The same goes for bad music. What really counts is that you know as much as you can about the tools you have so that you can get the most out of it. The best tool you have is yourself. A $3000 converter is a waste on someone who doesn't have the ability to record the material properly. Eventually every engineer learns beyond their first recording setup. That's when it's worth spending the money on more expensive gear.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:03 am

?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca