EHX 12ay7 Mod

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

EHX 12ay7 Mod

Post by operator_tape » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:30 pm

I want to add input and poutput trannies on my 12ay7, where would I add these? would I need to connect it inside the box or out. What is the theory behind adding trannies in and out of mic pre's? I just can figure it out. Any hel.p would be appreciated. Are there any parts that could be changed on the PCB to improve the noise floor. Maybe build a seprate power supply? Anyways I like the mic pre and want to improve it.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Open up something, or look up picks on the innernet, and see how it was done, then trace backwards. You won't have to go far back.
Harumph!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 pm

thanks I guess, :cry:

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:45 am

Mount the transformers in a box. Then you can choose when to use them or not. You can also use them for anything else laying around.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:03 am

Hey, I'm not that technically verbose, but, really, if you get a pic off the internet from the 12AY7 thread, UTSF, you can see how it's done.
Harumph!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:16 am

Jim Williams wrote:Mount the transformers in a box. Then you can choose when to use them or not. You can also use them for anything else laying around.
That's bloody brilliant.
I have some tranny's someone used back in the days of Ike and Tina, I'll have to take a second look at them. They were for a PZM mic and they were definitely put together in town. Memphis TN.
Harumph!

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Re: EHX 12ay7 Mod

Post by runrunrun » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:03 pm

operator_tape wrote:I want to add input and poutput trannies on my 12ay7, where would I add these? would I need to connect it inside the box or out. What is the theory behind adding trannies in and out of mic pre's? I just can figure it out. Any hel.p would be appreciated. Are there any parts that could be changed on the PCB to improve the noise floor. Maybe build a seprate power supply? Anyways I like the mic pre and want to improve it.
how much do you know about electronics? are you able to reverse engineer the schematic? i haven't seen it posted anywhere around here/prodigy. if you can get this far, im sure some others can help you out....

if you search around this board, the designer of the preamp (username = analoghacker) made some posts about mods/upgrads. he stated somewhere that upgrading the PSU is a good start.