Another "what the!?"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:46 pm

the finger genius wrote:How is that shock mount suspended? I don't see it being held up by anything...
look harder, right above where the XLR goes into the mic you can see the gooseneck

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 pm

the finger genius wrote:
johnny7 wrote:It is the pop filter I am concerned about. Is it hovering?
That's what I meant... :oops:
i think the support is obscured by the mic body.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:49 pm

the finger genius wrote:How is that shock mount suspended? I don't see it being held up by anything...
To the right of the headphones is onr of the hinged squeeze clips that is for the pop filter.

The question does still reman, does that studio set up a side address mic like an end address?
:roll:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 am

drewbass wrote:oops, you seemed to have posted this in the wrong forum.
this doesn't belong in recording techniques, it belongs in photography techniques.

dude- it's just a picture.

drew
Oh shut up. Who made you forum police?

It's obviously a ridiculous picture. And, it obviously illustrates a studio where someone doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. All of the excuses offered don't explain why they would put a picture like this on the website.

It's obvious to me that they don't know that the mic is a side address microphone. Hell, they don't even know that they shouldn't be hanging MULTIPLE PAIRS of headphones on the freaking mic stand!!

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 am

C'mon, they obviously know what they're doing. They've got Pro Tools!
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 am

So is this a "real" studio?
Prog out with your cog out.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Another "what the!?"

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:35 am

bickle wrote:So, I found this on the site of a studio here in town that I shall not name:

I've actually never personally used a C12, but I'm pretty sure it's a side-address mic. Is it possible someone owns a $5000 mic and doesn't know which end to sing into?

At least they've got their priorities in order:

Two things:

1. Looking at the Pro Control work surface this comes as no surprise.

2. It says alot about the Studio Manager's experience level to let something like this get to the website person.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 am

Ok, benefit of the doubt time here:
They recorded some vocals with the mic in the side-address position and the pop filter. Then they decided to do some hand clap overdubs. They called in the drummer and the drummer and the singer both put on headphones. The engineer was lazy and instead of trying out different mics just pointed the vocal mic down at their hands without even removing the pop filter. The two artists do their hand claps with the mic pickup pattern pointing at their hands and then hang their headphones on the stand.

Right then the photographer (or maybe just the studio owner, white balance is so off it's gotta be an amateur) comes in and snaps the pic in question.

Yeah... i'm not buying it either.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:13 am

CLEARLY they were recording vocal tracks for U2's next album:

and the pop filter is positioned out of the way because if you filtered the pop out of Bono's voice, you would just get silence.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 am

signorMars wrote:CLEARLY they were recording vocal tracks for U2's next album:

and the pop filter is positioned out of the way because if you filtered the pop out of Bono's voice, you would just get silence.
Holy crap! I thought that was Coldplay!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:45 am

signorMars wrote:if you filtered the pop out of Bono's voice, you would just get silence.
genius! Tip of the hat!

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:39 am

I do consulting from time to time as customers need it, and twice I've been out to studios when the problem was weird sounding vocals, they couldn't figure out why.

They were both singing into the back of the mic.

It happens.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Why can't you mention the name of the studio?

Why is it in every industry, when someone does something bad, or fucked up, everyone finds out who it was, but in music there's some sort of honor code in it being kept secret?

Also, am I nuts, or is it a decently established trend where pro control = no brain?

A lot of the places I see with them seem to get them because they think that's what a studio is supposed to have.

Not because they think it'll actually HELP their workflow.

I don't look at a gear list to see what gear they have. I look at a gear list to get INSIDE the HEAD of the person who BOUGHT it, to get an idea of how experienced they may be and where their expertise lies.

Are they buying stuff that suits a specific kind of workflow? (freelancer gone private shopowner)

Are they buying stuff that suits several different kind of professional workflows? (freelancer who knows his shit gone freelancer-friendly shopowner)

Are they buying stuff with, as some techs say, more money than brains, where they're just looking for brand recognition and have no clue how to fit all of this gear into the big picture of sensible workflow? (mook/"pohduza" gone private shopowner on someone else's dime)

Are they buying the cheapest shit off sweetwater for every given task when something ELSE might be better suited, if not a bit less conventional? For example, behringer headphone amp, samson c-control, when a hifi preamp frm the 70s and an old power amp would be the same price and far better. (beginner)

Pictures help.

I don't look at this stuff to get an idea of what the studio is so much as who the people ARE.

Seeing a bunch of extraneous pro tools shit, two speakers right up against a rear wall and right next to each other, and a microphone pointing at the floor, tells me a LOT.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:32 pm

wow. you have to ask yourselves why this makes you so angry, and why it concerns you so much. it's a photo. on a website. that's it.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:00 pm

drewbass wrote:wow. you have to ask yourselves why this makes you so angry, and why it concerns you so much. it's a photo. on a website. that's it.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
I don't think anyone is really angry about it. I'm more annoyed that someone who is seemingly incompetent is able to own and run a studio. It's just a lesson that hustle is as important as talent. If not more so.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."