Sick and tired of being sick and tired... of Logic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 am

toaster3000 wrote:
there are lots of solutions to people's problems here... i can't go through all of them, and i certainly am not thrilled with Logic entirely, but i think all DAWs are messed up in their own way, so i pick Logic when I need to, and use PT when i need to (and curse my way through that the same way a PT user would curse his way through a Logic session...)
Totally agree. I've got my gripes about ableton too, but I still go to it first when writing.
Also, wouldn't locking your click track prevent it from getting wiped when you are in record?
Prog out with your cog out.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:30 pm

superaction80 wrote:
toaster3000 wrote:
i certainly am not thrilled with Logic entirely, but i think all DAWs are messed up in their own way....
Totally agree. I've got my gripes about ableton too....

Actually- I'm curious to hear what people think of ableton- I'm surprised more people don't use it as their primary DAW. I worry that since it is optimized for live/DJ use, that the downsampling/rendering/mixing might be more about the speed than the sound quality.

I'm often wrong about this stuff though.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:33 pm

For instance, I can't figure out how to remove this doubled post.

superaction80 wrote:
toaster3000 wrote:
i certainly am not thrilled with Logic entirely, but i think all DAWs are messed up in their own way....
Totally agree. I've got my gripes about ableton too....

Actually- I'm curious to hear what people think of ableton- I'm surprised more people don't use it as their primary DAW. I worry that since it is optimized for live/DJ use, that the downsampling/rendering/mixing might be more about the speed than the sound quality.

I'm often wrong about this stuff though.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I was using Live (from 2.0 to 5.2) as my main DAW for years.
I switched to Logic last year and never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I love Ableton Live and it can do many things other DAWs can't, it's very intuitive and wonderful for sketching out ideas in the studio and incredible for live shows, but the sound quality is what annoyed me. Too many tracks, a bit of warping here and there, and it started to sound like a mush-and-mud bowl rather quickly. It's all subjective though, some people hear it and don't seem bothered by it, which is great, but I prefer Logic, and I can rewire Live to it.

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 pm

pk wrote:I was using Live (from 2.0 to 5.2) as my main DAW for years.
I switched to Logic last year and never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I love Ableton Live and it can do many things other DAWs can't, it's very intuitive and wonderful for sketching out ideas in the studio and incredible for live shows, but the sound quality is what annoyed me. Too many tracks, a bit of warping here and there, and it started to sound like a mush-and-mud bowl rather quickly. It's all subjective though, some people hear it and don't seem bothered by it, which is great, but I prefer Logic, and I can rewire Live to it.
agreed.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:15 pm

I bought an Imac 6 months ago so I said WTF and went ahead and bought Logic Express to try it out. Still got a long way to go learning it. It's not logical at all.
I still use my old trusty Tracktion 2 for simple stuff and live recordings.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 pm

pk wrote:I was using Live (from 2.0 to 5.2) as my main DAW for years.
Ah, THIS is what I was looking to hear. I have used Live 5.x through rewire, and noticed that drum tracks that I had tweaked with time compression/expansion did sound somewhat degraded.

What I am wondering is this: If you don't use the time compression/expansion, do your mixes sounds worse than Logic?

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 pm

A lot of the lime, I'll use the "complex" algorithm for time stretching in Live. Its more CPU expensive, but it sounds better.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:46 pm

pk wrote:I love Ableton Live ... it's very intuitive
I wanna believe this... Heck, I wanna use Live... In fact, I have a copy on my computer, and I've even gone through the included tutorial, but I just can't get my brain around it, and I've been using all sort of softwares for almost 20 years, and consider myself a quick leaner of software in general. I would never describe Live as intuitive. Not for me, at least...

But I really want to use it!

Whhaaaaa!!!!

:cry:

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:01 am

wedge wrote:
pk wrote:I love Ableton Live ... it's very intuitive
I wanna believe this... Heck, I wanna use Live... In fact, I have a copy on my computer, and I've even gone through the included tutorial, but I just can't get my brain around it, and I've been using all sort of softwares for almost 20 years, and consider myself a quick leaner of software in general. I would never describe Live as intuitive. Not for me, at least...

But I really want to use it!

Whhaaaaa!!!!

:cry:
Its very fast and intuitive for writing and some pre-production, IMHO. I wouldn't want to mix or do a lot of editing on it. It has the quickest set up for virtual instruments, hands down.
For me, it comes down to arranging. Arranging can be just as hard as coming up with the idea in the first place, if not harder (the song appeared in a flash of inspiration with the arrangement is more like spending hours in surgery). Live is the only app that will let you generate an arrangement in real time. That's a huge time saver. Compare that to the approach that every other app makes you take: move some blocks on screen, listen, move some more blocks on screen, listen again, wash, rinse repeat. Its time consuming and not very musical. And, after a pass, you want to make a couple little tweeks, Live will let you edit the "old school way". Also, your real-time arrangement doesn't have to happen all in one pass. Live will let you go back and add layers after the fact.
Check out the use of Scenes and how to assign Scenes to different controllers.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:04 pm

superaction80 wrote:Check out the use of Scenes and how to assign Scenes to different controllers.
This I will do... Thanks for the heads up...

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 pm

A good friend of mine co-authored this book. You might want to check it out if you're a Logic user.

http://www.amazon.com/Logic-Pro-Power-K ... 1598633694
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:25 pm

I'd say you are only half on crack.

I hate composing in PT, and I hate editing and mixing in Logic. You can't run both on your system?

Can you export your MIDI data and fly it into PT?

majortom
pushin' record

Post by majortom » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:51 pm

I still have a copy of logic and just about every damn reference book/tutorial ever made to try to figure the POS out...nope it just sucks

if I have to think harder about about getting some POS (did i already say that) program to work than I did about writing the song, well...not for me.

I don't care if PT is not the best sounding, if i can't get my idea down before I loose it I can't listen to it can I?

If anyone wants my copy of illogcal PM me. Todd.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 pm

majortom wrote:I still have a copy of logic and just about every damn reference book/tutorial ever made to try to figure the POS out...nope it just sucks

if I have to think harder about about getting some POS (did i already say that) program to work than I did about writing the song, well...not for me.

I don't care if PT is not the best sounding, if i can't get my idea down before I loose it I can't listen to it can I?

If anyone wants my copy of illogcal PM me. Todd.
sometimes i get lost inbetween the jokes and serious posts
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York