rnc compressor opinions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:25 am

You do not want a compressor operating on a pair of stereo mics to compress channels independently. If it did, and one side was activated by, say, a loud crash on one side, your stereo image would wobble, due to one side being ducked more than the other. Bad.

vorian
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vorian » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 am

Aquaman wrote:You do not want a compressor operating on a pair of stereo mics to compress channels independently. If it did, and one side was activated by, say, a loud crash on one side, your stereo image would wobble, due to one side being ducked more than the other. Bad.
Sure but you might want a stereo compressor to be able to operate independently so you could use as two seperate compressors.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:56 am

i've always thought of the RNC as being a good stereo group insert compressor.

i certainly wouldn't turn one down.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:18 am

I don't mean to down on the 'search function', I have gleaned much useful information using it. But, sometimes when what starts as that same old RNC question is allowed to continue, new things are brought to the conversation that can be informative; like issues of how a stereo compressor functions, or how to deal with unruly snyths.

Thanks for posting folks, this place is always a great resource.

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:34 am

Has anyone any experience of using it on the 2bus?

At the moment (as I have mentioned in the 2bus tone box) I am using a Sebatron Valve Pre for its colour across the bus, so I'm thinking if this compressor is transparent it may be useful for just that extra 1db or so of gain reduction after the valve stage.

Plus its about the only compressor I can afford at the moment that is worth buying.

Cheers

Iwan

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:44 am

recall wrote:Has anyone any experience of using it on the 2bus?

At the moment (as I have mentioned in the 2bus tone box) I am using a Sebatron Valve Pre for its colour across the bus, so I'm thinking if this compressor is transparent it may be useful for just that extra 1db or so of gain reduction after the valve stage.

Plus its about the only compressor I can afford at the moment that is worth buying.

Cheers

Iwan
unbalanced I/O + not so great on low freqs = probly not the best choice for the 2bus

Balanced or unbalanced doesn't have anything to do with frequency response. Many (most?) peices of high end gear unbalances the signal internaly and the re balances it at output. High end audiophile stereo systems are usually unbalanced. Some Manley gear give you the option of an unbalanced out (still at+4) to bypass the output transformer.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 pm

recall wrote:Has anyone any experience of using it on the 2bus?

Cheers

Iwan
yup and depending on the material it can kick ass in "really nice" mode.. everyone is correct. it is extermely transparent.. it was the first compressor i ever bought and it was what i learned how to use compression on.. which made it very tough because you really can't hear it. i like to use it for parallel compression on the drum bus and i LOVE it for a "modern" vocal compressor. definitely worth it

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:20 am

I've had my RNC for about five years, and the build quality is not great. I like it for drum room mics and vox.

skiltrip
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by skiltrip » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 am

I love my RNC. And the built quality is not horrible like some people like to report. The casing is NOT plastic as I've read in some places. The small
bezel frame around the front and back of the unit is plastic, but the actually casing itself is metal. I've seen the same generic cases used around old
school slide projector remote control units.

in any case, one thumbs up for the RNC, especially for the price, and
especially for use alongside an RNP, which I also love.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 am

lysander wrote:I've had my RNC for about five years, and the build quality is not great. I like it for drum room mics and vox.
Have you had any problems related to build quality? I've had mine for probably 8 years and it's been pretty beat up but it's held up well. It looks kind of cheap, but it seems solid to me.

kilsin
audio school graduate

Post by kilsin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:22 pm

The RNC is really nice.

Be careful with the stereo stuff. One time I ran two different tracks through right and left when my gear was limited, thinking I would have 2 independent channels with one set of controls. There was considerable bleed from right to left when there was no signal on one side. I figured the right side would not be audible on left. Not true, they do affect each other

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm

RNC is great for live Vox!!! Makes mumbling screamers sould like they might actually possess some mic technique.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:08 pm

Not my cup of tea, but others seem to love it.
If I want a boring but useful swiss army compressor, I'll reach for a dbx 160x every time.
Those RNC things are inexpensive and stereo though.