Anyone else doing a "big" recording session this w

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

asmara
steve albini likes it

Anyone else doing a "big" recording session this w

Post by asmara » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Anyone else doing a session this week? Got the players (singer just trained in and another guy is a fellow TOer), instruments, amps and space ready to roll. Got some drinks to celebrate Obama. Anything I am missing here? I will be playing on all the tracks and recording to Logic ITB. Doing an alt. rock/punk style. Taking the rest of teh week off from my day-job. Just wanted to see who else is recording and what if any unexpected troubleshooting is going on?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:59 pm

I've got a fairly quiet week this week, which is just fine because I've been slammed for so long.

I'll be playing my regular Thursday night jazz gig and I've got a gig with Mitch Easter and Gravel Truck Saturday night in Winston Salem. My buddy Jason Hausman is having his really excellent annual chili party on Sunday. As I've got a bit of down time this week, a few channels of the new Old House console are being completely recapped. I'm also working on a few difficult schedule things with folks from out of town that will be going down in December. That requires assembling some charts and getting reference discs together and whatnot.

Tonight, I'm playing scrabble with my wife, listening to some tunes, and enjoying some home-made steak sandwiches and Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I can't really forsee any unexpected problems with that at all. Of course, if they were unexpected, I probably wouldn't see them coming, would I?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:01 pm

this past weekend i had my first tracking session since april. went great. mixing that this week and mastering a hardcore record and a ska/swing band...

at the moment i am hitting refresh on www.talkingpointsmemo.com amd biting my nails something fierce.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:44 pm

I start an album project that I'm very excited about on Friday - in the middle of pre-production at the moment. It's the band's first full length (and their first record with me) but they've had 3 EPs/mini albums out in the past, one of which ran to 40 mins. Their new material is streets ahead of anything they've done before, I can't wait to hit record!

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 pm

in addition to watching history happen, i'm wrapping up some mixing on a session from this weekend... guitar and vocals to finish up the first song on an ongoing album project. the rest of the week will be quite as far as recording, though i'm playing a show on Saturday.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:45 pm

I have mixing + some additional tracking going on.
I've been enjoying time off after visiting my hometown of SF for a week.
I always have the worst time going back to work after time off. I just want to watch old movies and eat grapes all day.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:48 pm

I go into tech on Saturday, so the rest of my week is design work in my home studio, and programming the show into QLab.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:45 am

I was also just in SF. Lots of rain. As it turns out the topic should read something like when music recording sessions turn bad.... A couple of friends hijacked the singer to play dungeons and dragons for the last 3 days straight. Making a grand total of finished songs zero. Todays I am back to family life. As much as I love him, I may not work with this bloke again in such a scenario.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:07 am

are you serious? D and D? 3 days straight? how old is this guy? the only way this would be an acceptable reason for missing a session is if there were loads of hard drugs and women of questionable morality involved.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this is NOT the case here.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:16 am

Or if you are The Sword. I think it would be acceptable then :D