Tube pres that function like Altec 1566A or 1567A?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm

atavacron wrote:whoa, people replied to my post. cool.

joel, i'll take your advice and start learning about those pres you mention. care to put up a link to a nice 12ay7 mod site?
Take Dougs ( ^^^^ ) advice also. He knows his vintage stuff!!!
Get a 12AY7 for 189 dollars NEW, and then put tubes you found at the dump in it.
Works for me. Even on some pretty big records... for real.
Even stock, those things can be really great. Make yourself a 1:1 transformer XLR jumper box, and you will be able to record into ANYTHING. Like a project box with XLR and TRS mult'ed off of the same two transformers. Actually. I should do that too!!!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:04 pm

joel hamilton wrote:... Make yourself a 1:1 transformer XLR jumper box, and you will be able to record into ANYTHING. Like a project box with XLR and TRS mult'ed off of the same two transformers. Actually. I should do that too!!!
Would something like this little box made by ART work, or do you think the transformers would be too crappy?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=180637
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:06 pm

roygbiv wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:... Make yourself a 1:1 transformer XLR jumper box, and you will be able to record into ANYTHING. Like a project box with XLR and TRS mult'ed off of the same two transformers. Actually. I should do that too!!!
Would something like this little box made by ART work, or do you think the transformers would be too crappy?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=180637
It would work, but there are much, much, much better transformers out there. Making a 2 channel box with TRS and XLR ins/outs and a pair of cinemags or lundahls or jensen transformers would be totally great. I am going to make one, so I have it just to patch through for overheads or acoustic guitar or whatever that need something, but not compression or EQ... ya know?

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:19 pm

yeah, something like the ART T8, but with better transformers would be cool.

Wonder if one could get a T8 used for <$100, then just swap out its transformers with whatever you want.

Or maybe Redco could pre-make a box with Jensens in it?

I'm too lazy/distractable to get it done otherwise. I'd order the parts, and then they would sit around in a pile. Mocking me.

However, desoldering a transformer, pulling it out, and soldering in a different one I might actually get done.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Wait a minute, I'm missing something here. What does an isolation transformer do for your signal? And why would you use it as an alternative to EQ or compression?
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:05 pm

atavacron wrote:Wait a minute, I'm missing something here. What does an isolation transformer do for your signal? And why would you use it as an alternative to EQ or compression?
Woah... long story there.
Super, super oversimplified because I cant type fast enough version?

because transformers can be thought of, very loosely, as "non moving tape."
They exhibit a dynamic response character that I love, and it changes the overall tone and dynamic character through saturation.
Look up "hysteresis" also.
That is GROSSLY oversimplified, but it is a starting point. Email me if you have specific questions about this. feel free. I am serious.

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 am

joel hamilton wrote:
roygbiv wrote:
Joel, I'm catching your excitement on this. Maybe because it's just such an easy project. So just so I understand, you're talking about using a 600:600 or 150:150 isolation transformer with pins 2 and 3 of an XLR (and T and R of a TRS, respectively) wired to the input, and the same on the output. And of course you'd want to make a matched pair of circuits in the same project box.

Here are the links to two Cinemag transformers I found that seem to fit the bill. I like Cinemag because they're affordable, in the same state as me, and are super informative on the phone. (As a side note, Lundahl's construction techniques confuse me at first glance.)

Cinemag 150:150: http://cinemag.biz/splitter-xfmr/CMMS-2.pdf

Cinemag 600:600: http://cinemag.biz/line_input/CMOL-2x600T2.pdf

I like how we're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic here!
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:18 am

I was wondering what transformer to use as well.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:18 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:I was wondering what transformer to use as well.
I was too. But hey, scratch that last post - the 150:150 above is the obvious choice for mic level.

Cinemag makes 150:150:150s as well (isolates and splits the signal), so maybe if one were to build this box, one might do well to call it an isolated splitter and be able to choose to just use one in/out to thicken signal when splitting wasn't necessary.
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:49 pm

Many splitter transformers are designed to have multiple loads present, and also generally have higher insertion loss, which means higher noise floor. Get it if you need a splitter, don't otherwise.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Shattersignal
audio school graduate

Step up transformer?

Post by Shattersignal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi all! Is it possible to use a step-up transformer as the input for dynamic or ribbon mics? This would add a bit of gain and would also increase the loading on the mic, which usually sounds better for these types of mics, in my opinion. Has anyone tried a 1:2 transformer at the input of an EH 12ay7?

Cheers!
Tom
Thorson /// Underwater Studios

Shattersignal
audio school graduate

input impedance?

Post by Shattersignal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Also, what is the rated input impedance of the stock EH 12ay7? I suppose that it is 1200ohms or higher, to accommodate modern condenser mics? If so, it might work well to drop the input impedance for ribbons and dynamics.

Cheers!

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:38 am

This thread is so much of it's time.
Seems like there are these fads and then people off to the latest thing.
makes me wonder if the thing that everyone was so excited about then is still good.
dont turn around

Shattersignal
audio school graduate

Post by Shattersignal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 am

I agree! One thing seems clear to me, though: tubes and transformers and simple elegant circuits can never go out of style. The simplicity of design is what appeals to me so much about the EH 12ay7. I certainly don't mind that it also INSANELY inexpensive. It seems like no one should be allowed to like it because its so affordable, as compared to basically any reputable tube mic pre that is in fashion today in 2012. We recently ditched a UA la-610 at the studio because we don't think it sounds very good. As for the EH 12ay7, I'd really like to see for myself. If Joel Hamilton approves, I think its worth a close look--he has engineered some incredible, inventive records.

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:51 pm

i wonder if all the people who were excited by the EH pre 5 years ago still using it, or are they on to other pres.
dont turn around