Drum Mix/Processing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:10 am

OK, so I don't have an 1176 (plug or otherwise) but I really want to get that sound. I'm running Logic with the Logic comp as my main comp. Anyone had any success finding settings that approximate that 1176 sound with that comp or anything other plug? I used to have a microlimiter, but it got all buzzy and I never replaced it. I also have a Pro VLA and an Alesis smashup... :roll:
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:37 pm

It's a bit sad to so easily break it down but for heavier rock stuff I almost always bus the close mics to parallel compression then treat the overs and rooms via inserts if needed. I mix with a couple blown up sounding compressors on channels that I can easily send signals to, so sometimes the routing gets a little complicated but it works for me. If things don't sound better processed then I don't process them.
It's only a rut if you don't like your results. Otherwise it's a system. :D

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:02 am

Atypically, I find myself slathering cheese wiz on the bass drum shell, then wrapping the overheads in banana peels. I set the air conditioner to 32 degrees, then pull up the carpet in the drum room until the corners are touching the cymbal stands. I find this adds "slemth".

After praying to the four corners, I light some dill weed and chuck it at the ceiling. The embers slowly descend and evenly coat the snare head, giving it that "cleavish" sound, that's so sought after in today's post modern pop recordings.

I then say three "Heil Jeff's", cover my eyes, raise my starter's pistol, and fire. At that, the drummer runs into the room, seats him (or her) self in less than 4.3289 seconds (hopefully!!!), at which point I slam my hand down onto the Record button with my eyes still closed, and begin tracking.

Assuming all goes well (and it always does!) I sit back in the control room, jam a fork into my thigh, and listen to the beautiful, beautiful music...

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:20 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

+1