Elastic Time anyone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Elastic Time anyone?

Post by solo-bration » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:06 am

Just curious... has anyone used the new "Elastic time" feature with Protools? I just came across this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTSiFt01uU) where they use it to edit/fix drums.

I work mostly on rock/pop-punk type stuff - where drummers like that tight-as-fuck editing. I'm wondering if anyone is using Elastic Time as an alternative to (instead of) Beat Detective? And if so, are there any downsides to Elastic Time? I'm weary that all that time-stretching could add some serious artifacts.

Thoughts?

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:00 pm

I've been using it recently, and from what I can tell so far, I prefer it to Beat Detective. Much faster to use, and less "choppy" sounding if you're getting ugly with editing.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Yeah, but what do you know about pop-punk, Allbaldo?

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:56 pm

It's good. I've used it very sparingly for individual note nudges, and experimented with quantizing, too.

Think of it as a series of pins (at the zero-crossings, i.e. starts of notes), connected by rubber bands that the audio lives on.

You can place the pins yourself or have them auto-placed, and you can move the pins around automatically (quantizing) or manually (single-note or phrase fixes). When you move a pin, the elastic audio around that pin stretches to shrink or expand as necessary.

To use it:

Choose various audio stretching algorithms to best match your audio type. These options are on the left of the edit window, at the bottom of each channel strip.

ProTools will then take a couple of seconds and analyze the audio on that track, placing "pins" at each note.

See the pins by choosing "Analysis" mode (same place you choose "waveforms" or "volume" views, on the left of the edit window), and move the pins in "Warp" mode.

Move a single note by dragging one pin, or nudge a phrase by selecting several pins, then dragging them left or right.

It's nothing you couldn't do yourself by slicing, TCE shinking, nudging, TCE expanding and crossfading, but it's a lot easier to use!

Sound quality totally depends on your audio material, the type of algorithm you choose, and how much you are distorting the audio. It ranges from "totally unnoticeable" to "not so great, but generally better than the alternatives".

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Post by solo-bration » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:40 am

Sounds cool. Thanks for the info, guys.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:Yeah, but what do you know about pop-punk, Allbaldo?
Judging from the response at our last show, not much!

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am

allbaldo wrote:
Judging from the response at our last show, not much!
Totally off topic, but when there are 268 bands on a bill how on earth can the crowd show any enthusiasm at all? It's rock music, not laundry detergent; it's not meant to be bought and sold in bulk.

I shout from the highest peak DEATH TO THE DESTINATION FESTIVAL!

We now return you to the discussion about Elastic Time, already in progress.

skiltrip
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by skiltrip » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 am

I love the Elastic Audio feature. I became an instant addict. I have to stop myself from making everything toooo perfect. I all over that for locking up guitar accents and stuff like that. Also, locking the bass guitar in with the
kick and snare.