TT or Traynor YBA-1 to go with Musicman 212HD 6L6 model

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wyattt
gettin' sounds

TT or Traynor YBA-1 to go with Musicman 212HD 6L6 model

Post by wyattt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

So I am getting a Musicman 212HD combo with 6L6's in it. I'd like to run it with another amp to have clean and dirty options. I have a amp up for trade and the offers I have so far are: Traynor YBA-1 w/ an old 2x12 Ampeg cab with Jensons, an Orange TT with a 2x12 cab with Tone Tubby 40/40's, or a Weber HC-30 which is essentially a Matchless DC 30 clone in a head version. I'd need to get a cab for this though.

I play indie rock ala Death Cab For Cutie, Pedro The Lion, The Appleseed Cast, and even some Sigur Ros/Mogwai/Explosions in the sky type of stuff.

I figure the MM will handle all the cleans I need and I can put my Kzoo rat if I need it in the mix. But which would be a good match with it? Every damn video, sound clip (nearly) of the TT shows some dude shredding or ripping 70's rock riffs. If I went with the TT I'd be hoping for the other side of the voxesque sound other than Brian May ripping leads. The clean sounds I have found, sound good but nothing to wow about. And I have yet (except the new DCFC record) to hear someone not ripping but using the TT in moderation in ways that don't conform to legends of rock.

Which amp will help me get to the sound I am looking for?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:53 pm

I'd go with the Traynor. Of all the amps I have owned thats the one I most wish I had never sold. Really good on bass, excellent on guitar. It will need a fuzz ppedal or some mods to get any gainy sounds out of it though. It also can only do 16 or 8 ohm cabs. A 4ohmer will fry its output tranny (done it myself!).
Oranges are not known for their clean sound. Quite the opposite!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Post by wyattt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Yeah. At one time I owned and played in stereo a YBA-1 w/ ampeg 4x12 and a 68 Orange OR80 and matching 4x12 cab. I think more fondly of the Traynor than a TT. An OR80 it is not! And I am not a huge fan of the new stuff either.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:58 am

I'd get the Traynor too. But which amp are you planning on using for dirt? Traynors are loud non-master volume amps. And heavy. If you're just a/b switching them, you'll have 6L6 clean and EL-34 clean.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

canadian amp terrror

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:47 am

Professor T wrote:I'd get the Traynor too. But which amp are you planning on using for dirt? Traynors are loud non-master volume amps. And heavy. If you're just a/b switching them, you'll have 6L6 clean and EL-34 clean.
sorry to be a nitpicker, but not all traynors are non-master volume. The YBA3 "custom special" has 4 el34's and a master volume. Another amp I wish I never sold. If I had my YBA1 and YBA3 back i would gladly get rid of my Boogie Bass 400.

I think they made some guitar amps (YGA series) that were master volume with reverb also.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

wyattt
gettin' sounds

Post by wyattt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:25 pm

I used to get some dirt ou of my YBA-1 by jumpering the channels. I don't mind using pedals like tube screamer or my kzooo rat for some break up too.