How does the digidesign control 24 work with a 002?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

How does the digidesign control 24 work with a 002?

Post by chris ryan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:25 pm

what kind of connections are we talking about? firewire from the control 24 to the 002 then my Mac? or do you just bypass the 002 altogether?

also, are there different versions of the control 24 for use with LE vs HD?

i'm wanting to buy a used one for my 002 setup, and want to make sure i know what i'm doing!

:)
thanks

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:18 pm

The Control|24 connects using ethernet, so you will want one more ethernet card than you currently are using in your computer. The 002 will still handle all of your audio and will still connect via firewire. The Control|24 is just a control surface and as such it doesn't really care if you are using LE or HD (except of course the trim automation functions do not operate in LE).

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:22 pm

i'm not sure about the control 24 but the C|24 hooks directly up to your laptop with an cat5e Ethernet/network cable. The control 24 is the older unit the newer version is just called C|24. The C|24 is supposed to be a lot more integrated with the software for controlling stuff directly from the control surface.

If you can I would suggest getting the C|24 over the older control 24 just in case digidesign decides to stop supporting the older unit.

Also most people wish they made a control surface just like this but without the 16 mic pres because most people do not want them and that would bring the cost down a lot.

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by chris ryan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:46 pm

mattwhritenour wrote:
Also most people wish they made a control surface just like this but without the 16 mic pres because most people do not want them and that would bring the cost down a lot.
yeah tell me about it. that would be great. are there any 3rd party control surfaces that do this?

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 pm

chris ryan wrote:
mattwhritenour wrote:
yeah tell me about it. that would be great. are there any 3rd party control surfaces that do this?
I haven't seen any control surface lower than a C|24 that I like the looks of.

And I'm not even sure how I would like the C|24 (I need to try one out in person) I can tell you that the Dcommand is amazing but I doubt that helps too much.

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by chris ryan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 am

there's the mackie MCU http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCUpro/ not sure how well it works with protools. i feel another thread coming.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 am

Having worked extensively with the older Control|24, I doubt any other surface besides the Icon surfaces will have tighter integration with Pro Tools. I'm not sure if the MCU is still using Mackie HUI Protocol, but if it is I have used a HUI-compatible surface and it didn't hold a candle to the Control|24. If I could afford a Control|24 (or a C|24) I would have one.

With that last point firmly in mind, it's worth noting that a new MCU is about 1/6 the cost of a C|24, and even with two extenders to make it 24 faders that's still less than half the cost of a C|24. And the MCU does look pretty awesome. If I had to guess, I say C|24 gives you the best functionality, and the MCU gives you the best bang for your buck.

Wait! Why don't you just upgrade to the 003?
Last edited by GooberNumber9 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 am

well the command 8 is integrated with pro tools and only bout $1200. but not expandable?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Command8/

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:12 am

chuckfurok wrote:well the command 8 is integrated with pro tools and only bout $1200. but not expandable?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Command8/
I believe you can run multiple Command 8s, or maybe you can have a 002 and command 8 for 16 faders.

But the 002 control surface and command 8 are the same and are not the greatest. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I hear they made big improvements on the 003.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:50 pm

mattwhritenour wrote:But the 002 control surface and command 8 are the same and are not the greatest. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I hear they made big improvements on the 003.
I replaced my 002 with a 003 and they did make a huge number of improvements. They added everything on my wish list in terms of control surface features. It does most of the normal mixing tasks that a Control|24 does. Automation, I/O and insert assigns, jog/shuttle, memory locations, session save, and a whole lot more are all accesible from the surface. If it were fader expandable it would be the absolute winner for PTLE users.

The 002 and Command|8 are not that great.