fire retardent bass traps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trask
takin' a dinner break

fire retardent bass traps

Post by trask » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:39 am

I'm doing live sound at a local venue and the manager brought up some issues with the sound in the corner of the room. I've worked the room before so I knew exactly what he was talking about, it's a boomy place, and there's this one corner roughly 16x20 that's underneath a balcony and the low end just gets caught in there and it basically ALWAYS sounds like shit there. So we got to talking about things we could do and I said that he needed some bass traps, but because it's a bar/restaurant, it needs to meet fire code.

so to the real question:

are there bass traps out there that fit this description? Are the diy rigid fiberglass ones on here (doubtful)??? We'd basically need some corner wedges and maybe a 3-way corner for where the walls meet. Any suggestions/answers are greatly appreciated!
off somewhere listening.

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 pm

IANAfiremarshal, but AFAIK fiberglass doesn't burn. Cover it with flame-retardant-treated fabric and you should be golden, acoustically AND legally.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:33 pm

I believe Ethan's traps are, and may be certified to that effect.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:17 am

Yes, our MiniTraps, MondoTraps, and MicroTraps are all Class A fire rated. A GIF file of the certificate is on our Product Data page:

www.realtraps.com/data.htm

--Ethan

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:41 am

I built some traps for the club that I mix. I used 703 and some regular pink fiberglass covered with Duvatene cloth which is fire resistant. I kept the cut sheet for the cloth and a scrap of 703 in case the Fire Marshall was ever curious.

They were up for years when the Great White deal happened. The Fire Marshall actually inspected the club after that and he didn't have any problem with them.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:50 am

awesome, thanks for the help all!
off somewhere listening.