Drum kit overhead micing problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

foxtrot
audio school

Drum kit overhead micing problem

Post by foxtrot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:28 am

I'm getting a "click" noise on playback when recording drums that is showing up on the overhead tracks; sometimes the left or right mic and sometimes both. The click occurs mainly on a kick/crash cymbal hit. It occurs about 90% of the time, so a few 'hits' have no click. Reducing gain does not help. I've tried repositioning the overheads in countless arrangements. The only thing so far that reduces the phenomenon is moving the mics very far over the kit (about 5 feet), but then the drums sound too distant. I'm using a pair of Rode NT5 mics, Mackie Onyx 800R, EMU 1820, Cubase SL. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:58 am

sounds like you're clipping on input. I'm not familiar with the Mackie things, do they have a pad on the preamps? If not you may have to get an inline pad. Shure makes some, Hosa makes some. They're inexpensive.
greetings from Flyover Country...

minorkeylee
gettin' sounds

Post by minorkeylee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:51 am

you've probably already done this....but have you listened to the drum kit for signs of mechanical noise? pedals, stands, etc. are you recording on a slab floor (solid) or floor joists and decking?

foxtrot
audio school

Post by foxtrot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:05 pm

It's not a mechanical noise, because I can look at the waveform and there is an obvious erratic, non-smooth wave at the 'click'.

I have a 10/15/20 pad I can try on one of the mics; I'll try that to see if it smooths things out...

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 pm

foxtrot wrote:It's not a mechanical noise, because I can look at the waveform and there is an obvious erratic, non-smooth wave at the 'click'.

I have a 10/15/20 pad I can try on one of the mics; I'll try that to see if it smooths things out...
I was going to suggest trying an inline pad. There are many places you could overload. You could overload the mic itself, the preamp, the converters. Just because you're not clipping the converters doesn't mean you're not overloading somewhere else.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 pm

It's the sound of inexperience!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 am

you're a douchebag!

purple pie pete
alignin' 24-trk

overhead problem

Post by purple pie pete » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:14 am

I agree, what an ass! What good is this forum if folks can't ask about recording techniques or problems without being criticized? There's a good chance someone out there has experienced this same clipping problem, and knows exactly how to take care of it.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:48 am

Have you tried any other mics?

I say this with the best of intentions, to not insult or derail, but Rode mics are not known for their, err... longevitiy.

One reporter's opinion, having opened one, after opening fucked up AT 40** series mics.

When you use another mic, crank the gain on the pre/converter/whatever it is since most devices now have everything in one anyway. and see if it still happens, to rule out the box as the issue.

ALSO.

measure phantom power out of your shit.

some gefell mics are very very sensitive to not only the voltage, but the current of the phantom power.

I believe it's the UM-900 that will bitch even on some neve consoles.

So with the prevalence of USB powered shit, where not only is the current low(but also powering more than just phantom.. like everything), but the voltage 5v... I would not be surprised if regular manufacturers stopped giving a fuck about good phantom too.

I'm sure some mics are going to sound like total cock and shit.

Try another mic preamp. Something solid that you know is going to provide good phantom.
Last edited by rwc on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 am

@?,*???&? wrote:It's the sound of you not paying me to record your material!
Fixed your post.
Prog out with your cog out.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 am

@?,*???&? wrote:It's the sound of inexperience!
Honestly while this may very well be true - he may not have had the experience of feeling like a total retard in front of a paying client in a studio he's not familiar with wondering why this old mic is pissing & shitting on this pathetic all in one interface he was using, like I was a year ago.

Why not tell him this?

Wouldn't you be glad if someone told you?
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Could this be a clocking issue? Is the sound a TIC type sound?

foxtrot
audio school

Post by foxtrot » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Well, I'll be the first to admit I'm a noob at this stuff. It's not easy being the band's drummer, PR and studio rat while holding a regular job. Just trying to learn things as I go with limited resources and time. I'll admit the gear we have is low-budg for sure, but I'm trying to work with it. Thanks for the (positive) replys. I'll try some things you guys mentioned and post again if I'm still in a rut. Peace.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:It's the sound of inexperience!
Jeff,

If you not going to contribute something useful to the thread please don't bother!
Last edited by drumsound on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm

tommy wrote:Could this be a clocking issue? Is the sound a TIC type sound?
this is a valid point. I'm guessing the EMU 1820 is connected to the Onyx via ADAT lightpipe. Do you have two cables or just one? If you have only one, then the Onyx needs to be set as the clock master and the EMU 1820 as the slave (if that's possible). otherwise, you need to get a second optical cable so the EMU can send clock to the Mackie.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com