[namechange] Find the perfect mixer/console?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:52 am

I see. Any thoughts on the Allen & Heath Zed 24 or the Allen & Heath GL2000 in comparison to the Spirit M12? Sorry for all the lame questions. I just want to make sure I got all my bases covered before I make any decisions.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:00 am

themagicmanmdt wrote:so, maynard, you run the same studio as me, huh?

echo A/D and the 1280b.

i can tell that we are going to be friends.
It's a great combo.
What DAW are you using?

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:09 am

I'm using Ableton Live 7 Suite.

I had a Presonus Firestudio Project, but now we're trying to record some decent stuff to put out for EPs, etc. on our own.

I figured I'd ditch the Presonus and some other gear I have sitting around to get some MORE channels and some BETTER conversion and BETTER preamps. I figured a mixer + the audiofire 12 is the way to go rather than spending money on 1 or 2 nice preamps (we record most of our stuff "live" since it's pretty much all psych-krautrock-improv).

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 1 channel or 2 of nice preamps + the Presonus is a better options...but something tells me "no" and that I should just get a nice mixer w/ more options/pre's than what I currently have. I'm not worried about microphones.

So yes, Ableton Live 7 Suite is my DAW. I also have Logic 8 Express, but I never use it. I think the Echo Audiofire 12 is my next "for sure" buy (assuming I get a mixer). Now mixer-wise I've had my eyes set on the Soundcraft Spirit M12, but also have been looking around at Allen & Heath products and whatnot. People have been telling me to stay away from Mackie stuff if I want to use this for recording only (which I do. I won't be using this for live sound or anything. Just recording a 3-piece band).

So. With all of that in mind, any suggestions. I know you suggested that Soundworkshop 1280b, but I can't seem to find any. The Spirit M12 is easily come by at a decent price ($500-600) and there are plenty of Allen & Heaths out there. Just not sure which one would be the best bang for my buck in terms of recording, or if I should just skip the mixer and get a nice set of pre's or ANOTHER presonus on the chain (deal with the preamps on it) or what...

EDIT: My bad, your "what daw are you using" wasn't even directed toward me... :oops:

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 am

Grahambo! wrote:I see. Any thoughts on the Allen & Heath Zed 24 or the Allen & Heath GL2000 in comparison to the Spirit M12? Sorry for all the lame questions. I just want to make sure I got all my bases covered before I make any decisions.
I've never used either of those to be honest. But I think the Soundcraft stuff is pretty nice (Delta in particular) and Ramsa has it fans as well.

As a matter of fact, Ramsa may be the Bang-for-Buck winner here.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:25 am

rabbitw
audio school graduate

Post by rabbitw » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am

ok, i realize that my previous post didn't make the soundcraft sound so great.. no pun intended. um, my first live sound job involved an old Ramsa board and I loved that board - I used to record the shows to cassette while mixing on the fly, and a lot of bands liked the recordings. and that was just with sm57's and 58's mostly. i think i got the soundcraft because i thought it was less risky being new with warranty, and i like the lexicon reverb on it and it takes up less room. after working with an allen & heath though (still live stuff mind you), I think maybe i would gone with that, had i known.. but they were more expensive, and i can be pretty stingy to my own detriment. but still, i'm pretty happy with my mixer, and i heard the M12's are even better than the FX16, so.. i did get your email, and i will dig up some mp3's that you can listen to. if this helps for comparison, the fx16's preamps are a little less uh, satisfying to use than my symetrix 202, but pretty close, IMHO. (keep in mind that i'm not a pro recording engineer, just an enthusiast slowly upgrading as money permits.)

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:39 am

Wow.... the dust.
It'd have to be cheap.

Keep looking unless you have a trade.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 pm

The last one in Milwaukee looks promising. Milwaukee isn't a far drive. Maybe an hour or hour and a half from here.

It's only got 12 channels, though it's a 16 channel board. I don't mind that. It looks BAD ASS too haha.

So these Ramsa 16 channel mixers sounds good, huh? You think it'd be a significant step-up from my presonus pre-amp wise?

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm

The routing and ability to create headphone mixes alone is worth it.
Preamp wise.... it's gonna be to close to call.

Honestly, the whole mic pre hype is kind of a moot point at the level you and I are working at. Decent pre's, good mics and great performances make good recordings. The mic pre is not the bottleneck in my experience.

The console armrest is more important to me than the opamp.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:06 pm

From the listing, that Ramsa looks like it only has 2 preamps, right?

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:51 pm

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/msg/909358587.html

This guy said he'd ship to Chicago. $300. I don't have the money yet -- I need to sell some of my gear first (Presonus, power amp, Novation SL25 midi controller, and some other stuff) -- but I think I might do it if it works out.

I asked him about the condition, etc. No response yet.

You think this console/mixer would be better for me than the Spirit M12 sound-wise? Probably about the same. But I gotto say, the Ramsa LOOKS a hell-uv-a-lot COOLER haha.

8)

argonautlabs
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by argonautlabs » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:11 am

Ha, I actually bought the one in milwaukee (didn't see this thread until now). It was actually 12 mono, I think he copied the info from somewhere else. It has quite a bit of broken stuff, but as expected.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 am

Grahambo! wrote:I see. Any thoughts on the Allen & Heath Zed 24 or the Allen & Heath GL2000 in comparison to the Spirit M12? Sorry for all the lame questions. I just want to make sure I got all my bases covered before I make any decisions.
I own a GL2800 series, 32 channel. Awesome board for the price.

http://www.glseries.com/gl2800.php

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.