APsI model 2000 24 channel 8 bus console...need info!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tyler477
pluggin' in mics

APsI model 2000 24 channel 8 bus console...need info!!

Post by tyler477 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:46 am

So randomly picked up an apsi 2000 console.... have been having a hard time finding any info on it.... anyone here ever heard of these? it is sweet.

muttonhead
ass engineer

Post by muttonhead » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:34 am

Give API a call. I bought a used 525 compressor about 12 years ago and needed info to get it racked up. I called them and they sent out the schematics.

tyler477
pluggin' in mics

Post by tyler477 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:24 am

BUMBPTHBP!

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 pm

***Hi There,

APSI was a company that originally built custom consoles out of API parts, kind of like my DeMedio. I'd heard, but don't know for sure, that after the '78 closing of API some of the employees when to work at APSI, though not necessarily the designers.

They made some nice modular API-style nine-band graphic EQ's, the 559, which I think were pre-API 560. I had a couple of 559's, and they were fun because the in/out switch was also an LED. Less fun though, that the LED button was the part that broke on both.

I think what you've got there is a post-API APSI console. There was one here at the University of Illinois- it had individual channel modules, no metering, and a lot of colored knobs. I think there are IC's in them and no API 2520's. So, they're not on a par with an API console, but it probably sounds just fine, something like a Soundcraft or Studiomaster.

I think it's funny how the analog recording console has become a new discovery. Let's see, you've got a bunch of analog preamps, EQ, a zero latency monitor and cue mixer, analog summing, all in one handy package...

I hope that's useful.

Cheers!

-MR