What Did You Work On Today? 11-21-08

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 11-21-08

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:29 am

So, what were you guys up to today (Friday, November 21st, 2008)?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:43 am

Made rough mixes for an ongoing project, listend to proproduction recordings for an upcoming project, sourced parts for a studio wiring/set-up gig, and now I'm getting ready to drive out of town for a gig with my band.

Also trying to wrap up loose ends before I head off on a Cuban vacation on Tuesday.

Good times

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 am

Trying to relearn rudimentary pedal steel so I can make good on a promise to play some for a fellow TOMB'er.

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:22 am

Trying to determine whether it would be better to buy a Roland VG-99, a VG Stratocaster (joint Roland and Fender guitar), or neither.
Song-Writer

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:30 am

Spotting in sound effects for a cartoon about Thomas Jefferson.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 am

We're resurrecting an old FM transmitter for nostalgia's sake.

Lot of work ahead of us.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm

After midnight I did some VO recording and editing for an online Flash-based tutorial, got to sleep around 6:30 am.

Woke up around 1, read a couple of emails about recording an 11 piece traditional South African vocal group with 3 or 4 American musicians accompanying in a classical/Celtic style. Got on the phone with the manager of the group; might be changing the plan to just recording the vocal group without the musicians. Might do both.

Went and ate with my 20 year old nephew. He's a drummer and I did a mix for his band last week that sounds different than what they would normally do. Talked about how they want to split the difference, and I gave some suggestions about ways they could make their mixes a little less 'samey' and scrubbed clean.

Tonight I'll be doing an edit of a song I did with 3 of the 11 South African guys last year, in anticipation of seeing them Monday. Also editing together a podcast for a client, and then redoing that mix for my nephew.

And trying to get to bed before 3 am. I naturally default to going to bed just when it turns light, but that's not a cool way to live if you have kids and you don't have to keep that schedule.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Listened to a fellow TOMBer's mix of a remix that's been in limbo for a few years (the remix was in limbo, not the mix).
Began loading everything back into the studio from a remote gig on Tuesday.
Making safety DVDs of the remote gig.
I'm hoping to burn DVDs for the opening bands from the remote, also.
Prog out with your cog out.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:58 pm

i tracked drums with a new band called DAISY. 5 songs, it sounds good.

nice to have some awesome pres at the new studio i work at (moontower in cambridge ma)

the no toasters nice pair is seriously amazing! i want one so i can have 4 channels.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:00 pm

Spent most of the day sealing up the exterior walls and pre existing exterior windows of my soon-to-be drum booth, so that they're airtight before I start sheetrocking next week. For some reason, when I'm caulking something that'll be covered or not seen, the bead comes out nice and even and clean, but when I'm doing, say, the edges around where a window meets a frame, it gets all wonky, jagged, and messy. :( ! Wonder if it's some sort of performance anxiety...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:30 pm

I worked on moving a bunch of crap from a suite that was torn down this morning, about 35 rooms full of shit is being condensed into two storage spaces.

hillary from the board came by to buy a crest amp.

whatever credibility I had should be gone by the time videos of me trying to plug a simple power amp in over the course of 15 minutes make its way to the web.

had a crappy job interview later in the day, then went back to the "studio" and listened to stuff I had worked on over the past 2 years, with the other engineer. We compared back and forth to find what sucked more(some was ridiculous, like high school girls cutting to come to the studio with some 72 year old producer, singing absolute nonsense). Some stuff we played to see what was GOOD, reminiscing on the fun, scary, and weird times, and also checked out other places to work out of in the same building for when this place closes for good.

Fun times.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:30 pm

I mixed a pop\rock song today.
Bordering on Disney pop actually.
I didn't track this thing but it had a million guitar layers that didn't make any sense. Somehow I finished it.
I'm betting a couple revisions are in my future.
It ended up light years ahead of the original mix they gave me which is always good. It wasn't exactly easy.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:05 pm

today i painted my new bedroom. yesterday i did the kitchen. i'm tired. but, one more room to go and i will have redone the whole joint.

sweet.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Started setting up video projection equipment for a show that'll be going on tomorrow (technically today at this point, I guess :P), then made an extremely ghetto xy stereo setup out of two pencils and gaffer's tape. The mics we have for recording the room (we bought them often for choirs, orchestras, etc.) are these little Audio-Technicas; I taped one pencil across both joints where the mic holders bend, and another up across just below the top. (Note to self: if my boss decides to start telling everyone that we can record their events, I need to convince him to buy a stereo bar of some sort.) Then there was a movie (the Dark Knight) shown in the theatre and I ran that. I thought it was too long.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 pm

wren wrote:Then there was a movie (the Dark Knight) shown in the theatre and I ran that. I thought it was too long.

I didn't mind the length of Dark Knight; what I had a problem with was 1) Gordon's horrid speech at the end and b) how badly mixed Gordon's horrid speech at the end was.

It's almost as if the re-recording mixer knew it was a crap speech and did his best to bury it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/