Where do you keep your mic stands?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Where do you keep your mic stands?

Post by charlievela » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:17 am

My living room doubles as a tracking room. Luckily my roommates are musicians too so nobody minds the racket.

Everybody, myself included, minds the clutter.

My control room is too small to store all my mic stands when not in use, plus it's upstairs and I don't want to be schlepping them up and down all the time.

So my question is this: Where do you keep your mic stands when not in use? Just out on the floor? In a special room? Or are there storage options like converted wardrobes and the like?

I saw some things on the IKEA site that might work... and I'm even considering building something to house all the stands, cables, and mics in one place. Something that can be closed and locked, and still look attractive.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

-Charlie

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:27 am

I've thought about this solution, but haven't built it yet. The idea is to make a kind of "wine glass hanger" for the mic stands. On the ceiling, you'd build a kind of long flat box, with a slot down the middle so you could slide the mic stands one by one upside down into the hangar. Then you would just have a neat line of chrome poles suspended from the ceiling, with the bases tucked up inside the flat box.

Make sense? You might be able to tell I am severely pressed for space, and that the forest of mic stands drives me nuts.

There's also getting rid of all the stands you have now and buying a bunch of those interlocking base ones.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 am

A closet.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:39 am

I leave them in a gigantic pile on the floor. I only have about 8-10, though. If I had more space I'd leave them setup (standing).

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am

check out SOMA's chair rail mic stand hangers, looks clean and handy, it seems that they also have short stands on high shelves...

I think the chair rail rack seems cool...

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:37 am

dwlb wrote:A closet.

me too.

i'd be leery of storing too many stands with a hanging system.
it would get mighty heavy.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:08 pm

i just crowd them into a corner to make them feel like they did something to be ashamed of.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:38 pm

I just posted on another thread about a cool trick I saw at this studio in Minneapolis called the Old Blackberry Way. They have these things, I think they're bike racks for a garage. It's two prongs a few inches away that stick out a couple feet, they're metal lined with rubber. They have these mounted on the wall. They flip the boom stands upside down and hang them in their with the legs up and the boom down. It looks like you can fit five or six on each one.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Where does a general keep his armies?

In his sleevies.

* doesn't go away mad, just goes away *
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:12 pm

*goes away hilariously*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

absent
alignin' 24-trk

mic stand holder

Post by absent » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:04 am

How about a large rectangular box against the wall? You could run a slotted 1*10 across the top long-ways with some vertical braces (4*4?) going from the shelf to the ground; this would provide upside down storage for cast iron-based stands. We had a locking panel for a door.

This solution is likely to be ugly without some construction and decorative finesse on your part.

I used to store mine in a giant 2-wheeled Sterilite tub. I'd spin the bases off every night. Once you got used to it, the job would move fairly quick. Then just drag it into another room when done.