glyn johns drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nordberg
pushin' record

glyn johns drums

Post by nordberg » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:01 pm

for people who have used this technique, how have you found it sounds when collapsed to mono?
i just did some demo's with my band and used it and i think i might use these tracks for the record but we're adding two guitars, bass, organ, three part harmony, and a string quartet, so i think i might need to limit the percussion's sonic real estate. damn, dense mixes...i think our main songwriter secretly loves meatloaf! :shock: thanks is advance for the advice.

-mike
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I usually use Recorderman style overheads (which is very close to Glyn Johns style) and I've never had problems with either going mono or panning the overheads mostly center. In Recorderman you carefully measure the mic placement to make sure they distance from the mics to the kick and the snare is equal, so it's probably ideally suited for close panning.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 pm

I think on this board people get too upitty about doing this by the book. I mean, if you did a btb glynn johns technique and moved the over the shoulder mic by half a kick drum wavecycle from the FOK mic, it will collapse to mono like ass. Mad bass suck. Know'm sayin? I think the like spirit of it is like "kit picture, not bar sound reinforcement guy". Which is a long-winded way of saying if its collapsing good now, adding that stuff won't be a problem if you follow normal rules for making space. If it's not collapsing well now, nothing is going to fix it either.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Re: glyn johns drums

Post by mattwhritenour » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:42 pm

nordberg wrote:i think our main songwriter secretly loves meatloaf! :shock: thanks is advance for the advice.

-mike
the only problem with this is that he's keeping it a secret. meatloaf / jim steinman rock!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:45 am

Try it. If it sounds good... sweet! If not, work with it.

I've collapsed GJ setup to mono, and it worked out just fine.

The other thing that's cool about that setup, is that center OH should get a pretty good overall kit sound, so you could always just use that as the mono signal.

How are you normally panning the mics? I only ask, because I find myself not liking it as much when panned wide (like most recommend). I usually stick to around 9 and 3 o'clock, and I find it to be tighter, punchier, more focused, and leaves room on the outer edges for other stuff.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:58 am

I think originally it was a mono setup. I can't find confirmation though.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:00 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:The other thing that's cool about that setup, is that center OH should get a pretty good overall kit sound, so you could always just use that as the mono signal.
This is also cool when using mid-side - you already have a solid mono image of the kit if you just want to use that in the mix.

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 am

oh i don't usually pan them more than like 30% out. i agree that it sounds weird with them hard panned. i might try just the top overhead. i guess what i should really do is just wait till all the other elements are recorded and see what fits. i love the sound of the GJ setup and my drummer's drums (mid sixties gretch w/ supralite (sp?) snare!) i just think a lot of the beauty will be lost with the rest of the band. i know the kick and snare will be okay in mono because the distances are the same. i guess what i'm really worried about is getting sloshy cymbals. on a tangent, does anyone ever pan drums so that they have width but are over to the side? ex. overheads panned 100 and 20% left with kick and snare at 60. that could be neat.
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 am

nordberg wrote:i guess what i should really do is just wait till all the other elements are recorded and see what fits. i love the sound of the GJ setup and my drummer's drums (mid sixties gretch w/ supralite (sp?) snare!) i just think a lot of the beauty will be lost with the rest of the band.
Track the rest of the stuff with that in mind. You should track things so that all the elements have their space. Volume is your friend.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com