Mixing help??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 pm

I have some free time tomorrow, if I have a chance I will try a mix of this too.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:15 pm

all right - I cleaned it up some I think...may not have as much vibe now though...the kick drum is really not working for me...done on sonar 8...overall levels still would need some riding style tweaks (guitars and vocals)...

grockvt2 MP3 (last one on the list)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7d3b ... 5d5e655645
end

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:29 am

so the room mics just get continually more and more behind. which is actually kind of cool as it makes the room seem to get bigger over the course of the song. NOW i understand why i was pushing up the room mics on the intro and not getting what i wanted. and why the last chorus sounded so huge. haha.

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 am

This is grrreat! I'm gonna try a mix later.
-Chris D.

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:06 pm

oh well - did a bit more today after listening to it real loud...took a bunch of stuff (vox, lead) way down and cloned some tracks to fill in some gaps, etc...also realized V2 had delay on the guitar solo that was not intended...

still on the heavy side...

grockvt V3...(the last one)...

end

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:26 pm

crap - had the compressor in bypass!!!...here is the same version with mix bus comp ON...

grockvt V4...(the last one)...

end

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Great stuff! I just listened to grockvt and MSE's mixes and they both rock.

Heres my version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?emmzjowomzy

I went for punchy and used lots of compression. I still don't know how I feel about the vocals in the mix. I would probaby need some time to work those out further.

I used Cubase and a bunch of UAD stuff including an 1176 across the mix buss to get some extra oomph. I actually scooted the room tracks up about 15 ms but it ws still too cavernous so I had them way down in the mix.

Big electric cat, hope you dig it.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

clayworx
audio school graduate

another mix

Post by clayworx » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:01 am

Hi, I'm new to posting, been lurking here for some time however.

Here is my mix..

http://www.mediafire.com/?ziutzwzuryd

Just basic, no automation or any real editing. This was my first attempt at mixing on the computer. Let me know how you like it. Seems I left the guitars out of the intro before the vox. It takes forever to download anything here, so I got the drums first, and put that todether, then the guitars, added them to the drums, and the got the bass vox and the rest. So it kinda went together that way.

I really like the song, but was wondering if you thought should re-record the guitars without the hum. Perhaps tighten up the background vox a little.

Thanks for sharing, what a great idea!

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:25 pm

So at this point I feel like the dude in cake's "going the distance"...not sure why I am still on this other than I don't like the mixes I did so far...they don't seem right...last night's seem to have too much bass...still unrefined...

I went nuts tonight and some rode guitars, etc in experimental ways, tried to fix some of the out of tune power chords by dropping in other ones, tried to get rid of the cymbal super wash, separated out the toms and pushed them through a comp to get them to cut through, shaved 1.5 db off the solo, shaved a bit on the rooms and overheads, enveloped the ending vocals, blah blah...still I only always notice what I missed once I have created the 2-track final...in this case the snare washes out at times...I guess I should have worked on the drums more at the start of this...anyways...here is the mix I got now...vocals are probably still loud in places too...

grockvt V5 (last one on list)...

end

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:12 pm

slider that's a hell of a mix for a half hours work.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks MSE.
I store all my past mixes channel settings for easy use at a later date.
Hurray for making all records sound the same!! I feel shame.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:00 pm

you should have your kid pick the channel settings and see what happens.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:you should have your kid pick the channel settings and see what happens.
umm...i may try that, actually.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:47 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:you should have your kid pick the channel settings and see what happens.
That's not a bad idea.
The other fun one would be mixing without listening.
You can only use visual tools to guide you.
I think that would be a cool experiment.

grockvt
takin' a dinner break

Post by grockvt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Clocking...

Read about the antelope clock in the latest TapeOp...I don't have one but realized I do have two master word clocks to choose from...the thought is that one might be better than the other...

So, instead of doing laundry I decided to try some clock experiments on Big Electric's tune...hope that is Ok - it is really the only mix I have around right now...

Here is an overview of my mixing set-up...

Tascam 1884 and Aphex 141 D/A (linked by ADAT) combine to create 16 D/A's which feed a folcrom summing mixer which feeds the API A2D for printing mixes back into the 1884 via SPDIF (DAW is Sonar8)...inserted on the API between the preamp and final stereo A/D is a Drawmer 1968 doing a few DB of work and some euphonic make-up gain...

Here are my descriptions of the 3 variations I did...

1) Mix printed to API A2D using Tascam 1884 internal clock for D/A conversion and API clock for A/D conversion (no word clock cable used at all)...this is what I have always done without thought. The spdif out of the api went into the tascam for printing...I think my description is accurate, but the spdif in probably carried the API clock and I think the D/A process would not have seen the API clock...

2) Mix printed to API A2D using Tascam 1884 internal clock for D/A conversion and Tascam clock for API A2D conversion (word clock out of Tascam connected to API word clock in)...this seems like the least likely contender as the Tascam is 2003 technology but figured to try it...the spdif out of the api went into the tascam for printing...

3) Mix printed to API AD using API word clock for tascam D/A and API A/D...(word clock out of API into Tascam word clock in) this one went spdif from the API to the MAudio Microtrack as the tascam had trouble with the SPDIF input using this configuration (crackles and pops)...I then dragged the wave file back into the computer from the MAudio...the levels should be the same on this one. I figured this one would have the chance of sounding best...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7d3b ... b7c8d30bba

What differences does everyone hear?

All were printed right in a row 1-2-3 without any settings drifting around...

I posted WAVs this time so they may take a little time to download...
end