3%
I have never heard directionality in cable before
97%

Total votes: 34

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

directionality in cable?

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:57 am

I am curious what others think of directionality in cables. Or polarization. Where a cable will sound differently from one direction than it will if you reverse ends. Have you experienced it? Do you think it's a bunk idea? Do you own "directional" cables?
Last edited by calaverasgrandes on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:20 am

There's no "Directionality in cable is bullshit, the audible phenomenon doesn't exist" option, or I'd tick it.
UPDATE: My vote is cast.
Last edited by ;ivlunsdystf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:00 pm

bunk.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:03 pm

weird, there was a 3rd option for "bunk" but only the first two options showed up in the poll. Weak.

I changed the poll options so now the unbelievers and the faithful both have choices.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:53 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:There's no "Directionality in cable is bullshit, the audible phenomenon doesn't exist" option, or I'd tick it.
ditto!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: directionality in cable?

Post by Andy Peters » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:59 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I am curious what others think of directionality in cables. Or polarization. Where a cable will sound differently from one direction than it will if you reverse ends. Have you experienced it? Do you think it's a bunk idea? Do you own "directional" cables?
Anyone who thinks that cable is "directional" is a fucking idiot.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:20 pm

what about the cables that are for sale with direction markers on them?

BOWIE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BOWIE » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Andy Peters wrote: Anyone who thinks that cable is "directional" is a fucking idiot.
-a
You know, I came here because I was told that they folks on the tape-op boards were more inteligent and friendly but you make me wonder if I was lied to... :wink:

A cable can be directional in two ways:
The first is in which the shield is floated on one end. THAT IS DIRECTIONAL, and calling people "fucking idiots" doesn't chance a scientific fact.

The 2nd way has to do with solid core cables, specificly EA and you can read about it here:
http://www.peerlesstone.com/node/96
And, here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?p=5088470

John Mayer uses a sold core cable that he likes to reverse the direction on because he likes the tone better (No, I'm not a fan of his so don't bother going down that road).

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:26 pm

BOWIE wrote:
Andy Peters wrote: Anyone who thinks that cable is "directional" is a fucking idiot.
-a
You know, I came here because I was told that they folks on the tape-op boards were more inteligent and friendly but you make me wonder if I was lied to... :wink:

A cable can be directional in two ways:
The first is in which the shield is floated on one end. THAT IS DIRECTIONAL, and calling people "fucking idiots" doesn't chance a scientific fact.

The 2nd way has to do with solid core cables, specificly EA and you can read about it here:
http://www.peerlesstone.com/node/96
And, here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?p=5088470

John Mayer uses a sold core cable that he likes to reverse the direction on because he likes the tone better (No, I'm not a fan of his so don't bother going down that road).
Neither of those links are very conclusive or convincing.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm

john mayer also spends $50 on a bottle of water.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:57 pm

I only got 5 pages in but it seems this thread seems to have the most reasonable discussion on the topic:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=433095
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:57 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:what about the cables that are for sale with direction markers on them?
the one i have is referring to which end has the ground lifted, nothing more.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

BOWIE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BOWIE » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:58 pm

RoyMatthews wrote: Neither of those links are very conclusive or convincing.
Well, I'm not interested in convincing anyone but for those who actually want to learn what it's about, and benefit from it, here's a good explanation of the first case of directionality taken from Planet Waves:
"This configuration provides the best shielding against external noise. The shield intercepts external noise and diverts it to the amplifier ground, reducing interference. Connecting the shield to the amplifier end provides the shortest and most direct path to the amplifier ground and maximizes the shielding effectiveness. If the shield is connected at the guitar end, the intercepted noise is forced to travel through the cable before reaching the amplifier ground; this causes extra noise pickup by the cable and reduces shielding effectiveness. If the shield is connected at both ends, some of the noise can still travel through the cable before reaching the amplifier ground, thereby reducing shielding effectiveness."

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 pm

I think the lifting of the shield is really a different issue. I wouldn't really even refer to it as 'directionality'. When this topic usually comes up the question is usually whether or not cable sounds better in one direction or another. Lifting the shield on one end is a noise issue not tone. Sure less noise will probably make the overall tone better but the audiophile belief is that the sound 'flows' better in one direction due to a grain that develops in the manufacturing process. Lifting the shield would be separate from the discussion because the end that's lifted might not coincide with the 'grain'. The tone might be better the noisy way.
I think it's hogwash. I couldn't see how this supposed grain would have any effect on the electrons. I'm sure someone with a firmer grasp of the physics could explain why it shouldn't matter better than i could.
Especially after all that turkey.

BOWIE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BOWIE » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:14 pm

RoyMatthews wrote:I'm sure someone with a firmer grasp of the physics could explain why it shouldn't matter better than i could.
Especially after all that turkey.
:lol: I know what you mean! I am supposed to be screening tubes for customers but all that turkey kicked my ass. I ate so much my ears started poping. :shock: