3%
Shure SM81
18%

Total votes: 33

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Acoustic Guitar Mic Shootout

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:30 pm

The guitar is a Gibson J45. All mics are 18 inches away pointed at the 12th fret and are going thru a Hamptone JFET pre to a 002 at 44.1/24.

Mics In Order or Appearance

- AKG 414 ULS
- Schoeps CM64 Tube
- Audio Technica 4033
- Groove Tubes MD1a Tube
- Electrovoice 676 Dynamic
- Shure SM81

AcousticGuitarMicShootout.mp3
Last edited by Mystic Steamship Co. on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pgraf
audio school graduate

Post by Pgraf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 am

i really like the 414 (im a little biased, i love that mic) but it has a nice bottom end to it with out being out of control, the schoeps just doesn't have that controlled bottom to me, the 4033 i didnt like just didnt do it for me, the groove tubes is alright, the EV has a cool effect like its on an old timey radio, and the 81 sounds good, i would pick the 414 it sounds the most controlled to me.

how do you like the hamptone jfet version?, ive used the tube one and love it.
"Aaron, i think the left side of your mustache is 1dB louder the the right."

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:54 am

The 414 is really nice, the Schoeps has this silkiness that isn't there in the other mics which I'm sure would be easier to hear if it wasn't an mp3 (couldn't get the wav to work for some reason). I love my hamptone a whole lot, it's a great pre.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:17 am

The only one I didn't like was the Schoeps. Otherwise I thought the 4033 and the 414 sounded similar with the 414 sounding a little more "present". The EV would be great if you were going for that particular sound, charmingly low-fi. The Groove Tubes seemed a bit forgettable and the SM81 sounded a bit too 'clinical'.

I think any of these sounds would hold up in a mix for sure. The 414 and the 4033 both have the greatest 'wow, that guitar sounds great' effect to me.

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:50 pm

The AT 4033. Hands down. I love the sound of a J and the 4033 sounded like a J to me. I thought the Groove Tubes was also very nice. I also dig the "old timey" feel of the EV. The others didn't do anything for me--the 414 was little shimmery but also boxy, the Schoeps was nice until the riff hung out in the upper register and then it went thin, and SM81 made me glad I didn't purchase those when I was choosing sdc's. I should also mention that I've not had to mix an acoustic guitar into anything too busy as our little band is mostly just acoustic guitars and fiddle. I'm sure there's a lot more to consider with a fuller production. Interesting to hear as I don't have any of those mics. Thanks for posting it.

I did all the tracking of our acoustic guitars with a Sterling Audio ST44 (except for the side of a M/S and then I used a ribbon) but in rehearsing for an upcoming show, we were considering using a Sputnik and I really liked what it did for my old 30's archtop. I really, really like the ST44's but I may use the Sputnik on the archtop the next time around. I've mentioned the ST44's before and I know there a knock off of the GT's, but I'm very happy with them. Anyone else?

Now, I'd love to get me a real pre...

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 am

the 414 is great! just added to my 'must have' mic list. i also really dug the electrovoice.

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:06 am

If you're getting a 414 I'd definitely get a ULS, I believe they have a transformer. My studio partner used to have an XLS and it sounded way thin in comparison to the one we have now. They can be had for under $500 any day of the week.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 am

I liked the 4033 and Schoeps the best.

There's something in the midrange of the Schoeps track that was really nice. I have a feeling that it would sit most easily in a denser mix. Maybe move it in a bit to get some more low end happening.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:28 am

Ian D wrote:If you're getting a 414 I'd definitely get a ULS, I believe they have a transformer. My studio partner used to have an XLS and it sounded way thin in comparison to the one we have now. They can be had for under $500 any day of the week.
thanks for the info!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am

thebells wrote:
Ian D wrote:If you're getting a 414 I'd definitely get a ULS, I believe they have a transformer. My studio partner used to have an XLS and it sounded way thin in comparison to the one we have now. They can be had for under $500 any day of the week.
thanks for the info!
I agree get the ULS. I'm pretty sure, though, that the XLS still has the transformer (not saying that it sounds as good, just sayin'), and it's the XL-II that is transformerless, just like the TL-II was.

I've got the TL-II (didn't really understand the difference when I got it ages ago). It's a good mic and sounds very similar to what I'm hearing from the ULS in the shootout. I think the differences really come out when you've got a louder source on them. Like, close tamborine sounds totally badass on a ULS, but nothing special on the TL-II, in my experience. Also, the ULS can be the perfect vocal mic, for a certain voice, but I've never felt like the TL-II has really worked well with any singer I've tried it on.

Anyway, back to topic. I like the 414 best. 4033 sounds full enough, but lacks clarity to me, which will only be accentuated when in the context of a mix. The EV is really cool when you're going for that sound. I usually like sm81's on acoustic, but it seems kind of hollow to me here. I guess with the shure, I'd probably have it closer to the instrument.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:13 am

Interesting. If I were going to pull a mic to use in a mix that also had electric guitars in it, I would probably go for the Schoeps.

If it was a solo acoustic guitar track I would probably pull the 4033 or the MD1A.

The EV is what it is.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 pm

This makes me want to give my 4033 a try on mandolin. Don't know why I haven't ever done that.

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:16 pm

For a solo track, I'd pick the 414.

For something in a mix, I'd probably opt for the SM81.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:47 pm

The 414 is nice, yeah, but I really love the image the MD1A presents. The definition is incredible, the image is "right there" in 3D. Wish I could afford one.

I use a 4033 a lot on my AC guitar tracks and love it with the low freq roll-off switched on. I use Scodiddly's "Alice" mic the most.

When tracking in stereo, I use a 4033 with Scodiddly's "Alice" mic which ends up sounding more like the MD1A really because the 4033 handles the high's smooth and open while the Alice really grabs tight, powerful, solid mid's.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:52 pm

None of the above.

Neumann CMV 563 with M7 capsule. 12th fret angled toward the sound hole through an API 312 preamp, some light 1176 limiting along with some Pultec EQH-2 attenuating the bottom and opening up the top.