OS9 users of the world UNITE!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Having a hard time justifying an upgrade from a system that really is rock-solid.

Any other Pro Tools 5 users out there running Macs under OS9? I have tons of plugs that are fairly similar (if not the same) to their OSX siblings (i.e. Bomb Factory, McDSP, JoeMeek, Moogerfooger, Waves Renn, etc). I run a G4 733 Digital Audio tower that has plenty of power for PT 5.2.1 and OS9 & 001 interface. Easy to get 24 tracks with say 20 or so plugs. Plus, I have Audiosuite if needed.

I also have a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz. Thinking I could use that as a soft synth / loopstation for preproduction perhaps. Was gonna make the leap to PT8. Not really seeing that many benefits now. I could always get a BLA mod to the 001 and/or get better converters.

Someone talk me into/out of this.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:16 am

I applaud you.
I used a RADAR II up until a year ago. Worked 100% flawlessly.

But I finally transitioned to Ableton Live full time and I have to say, much progress has been made.

I'd never go back. OS-X is great in almost every way.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:35 pm

I am with you. I was looking at Logic, but none of the non-pro software I like supports surround sound, so WTF. PT5 on OS9 is familiar, and it works pleanty good for CD quality.

desdinova
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by desdinova » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:01 am

I still run legacy machines for Opcode software.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 am

if i had a system that was rock-solid, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

gtr_joe
studio intern

Post by gtr_joe » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm also OS9. Bought a G4 dual 800 when it first shipped with OS9 and OSX.

Am still running a digi 001. Have tons of plug-ins. Also work in Final Cut Pro.

Am pretty much limited to 16 bit with PT, but at the same time, I've done some national stuff for agencies that they're thrilled with.

Biggest problem with OS9 is browser support. So buy something cheap for your e-mail.

I have 3 G5's at work loaded with more recent pro tools and final cut pro suite, plus other production apps. At the same time, when it comes to wood-shedding and mix, I'll do the tracks at home. Yes, on my lowly digi 001 G4 with a 16 bit export.

For the clients I work with, there's still a "wow" factor.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
gtr_joe

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Nice!

I JUST switched over to OSX and protools 6.4. Still on the Digi 001 though. I was on OS9 and pt 5.2.1 for the last 7 years.

The only real benefits i'm experiencing is when tracking a band at a studio that say has even just a TDM system, something that can do more than 24 tracks.. when i take the drive home to my studio to do overdubs etc.. I still have a visual and easy way to access the tracks that go over my track limit. You just have to re-assign voices. I enjoy this than just praying they're still ok and stuff cause i see them in the audio folder. Its easier to go, ok we need all the clean guitar parts here to make a decision on what we're doing next, so turn off the ride track, the hh track, the bass di track, etc.. freeing up voices for what I NEED to hear to make that decision or next step. Just works better for me that way, besides that, it's the same thing pretty much.

The funny thing, before i figured this out.. i copied the sessions into two additional sessions for all the "extra" stuff i'll be adding to the record before it goes back to the other studio to mix. Before, i had to fly that stuff in when I got to the other studio which is capable of doing more than 24 tracks. Now, i can have it all hanging out in the same session, ready to go, before I get to the other studio..

if this makes any sense.. i've been huffing screen printing reclaiming chemicals all day.

but i still have os 9 and 5.2.1 available on my computer.. "just in case"!

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:27 pm

cool thing about OS9 (or any system that isn't hooked to the net) is there's no updates or guesswork involved. These days when Apple updates their OS it sends recording folks into a panic, whether you have PT, Logic, Cubase, etc.

I'm happy not being concerned about all that.

I decided to stay with PT 5.2 and the 001. I will invest in quality A/D conversion & continue to record in 24-bit.

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 am

Thought i might revive this thread. I'm running pt5.1.1 os9 with 1 core and 2 farm cards. I've got 24 ins and out with 2 apogee 8000 and one 888 (I was blown away by how much clearer the apogee's are.) My system has been stable, but the free pluggo's I use seem to sometimes crash the system. I was wondering what plugins you all are using. The one thing I am really missing is being able to try out weird new glitchy vst plugs.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

Evan Rodaniche
audio school graduate

Viva 5.1!

Post by Evan Rodaniche » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:50 am

I see this thread's a bit old but had to ask - any of you STILL on 5.1/Os 9?? I upgraded to TDM about a year ago and then to ProTools 8/OS X about a month ago and I duno', my LE 5.1/001 mixes still ROCKED comparatively and were so QUICK to get going. I'm not too stoked about the EQ IIIs yet - not to mention having to purchase all my plug-ins again. yeah, I keep the old G4 and 001 on my desk, just in case. haha. Anyone watch Kamen Rider/Dragon Knight on CW4 Saturday mornings?? That slammin' theme song is 100% unmastered OS 9 / 5.1 thank you very much! I gotta' say the McDsp Compressor bank had alot to do with it:-).

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Mon May 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Well I started this thread and am still on the OS9 platform. Just finished latest album. I love the Metric Halo channel strip and McDSP plugins. Waves Renn plugs are still very usable. Could use a better reverb. Still rock-solid.

Getting more and more dance-oriented with my tunes -- may finally succumb to using PT8 or Logic...

Circuit Scream
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Circuit Scream » Thu May 21, 2009 5:39 am

I've got an 8600/300 on 9.1 and a 6100/66 running System 7.5 - although I'm using SoundEdit 16 on both of these fine beasts. I do *some* multitracking on the 8600 and have it with PT 5.1, but mostly it's to work with older files and editing in Soundedit. The 6100 fits nicely in a rack shelf. :)
"I avoided capture by using your Mak'tar stealth haze"
--Quellek

Donnie Maynard Christianson
aka Circuit Scream
Sci-fi Inspired Ambient/Electronic Guitar Rock
http://twitter.com/circuitscream

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:17 pm

UPDATE: did finally outfit my laptop with Logic 8 and recorded some with it. I liked the reverb, and MIDI capabilities. However, it was a pain overall.

Final verdict: back to my familiar OS9 environment. Most likely for good!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 am

In case you were wondering who is using what OS:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 8&i=381351

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 pm

still on os9, I'm wondering what I'll do when the computer dies though, transferring the plugins over with a floppy was a real pain in the ass. I'm also wondering if the g4's will all start to have problems soon, how are all your computers holding up?
dryhill studios
oneonta ny