Monster Cables suing Monster Mini Golf

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 am

i think they are way aggressive, but i do appreciate that they did return your email - even if some of it was a little tacky.... some of their argument is reasonable, although they are too sue happy.... ho hum.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:40 am

trodden wrote:*names first child ubertar*
*sues trods and wins his first born child*
*leases said child to Monster cable for undisclosed sum*

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:08 am

casey campbell wrote:i think they are way aggressive, but i do appreciate that they did return your email - even if some of it was a little tacky.... some of their argument is reasonable, although they are too sue happy.... ho hum.
They actually go right down the list of rationalizations:
1. We are a small company actually, "family owned" [which only means that you can't buy stock in them - another "family owned" company is the enormous Little Caesar's pizza empire and another one is FREAKING CARGILL which moves 120 billion a year] and the company we are suing is big

2. Other companies also protect their trademarks

3. We have a responsibility to protect our name

etc.

Chuck Surack's letter, which I read, goes right down a similar list:
1. I don't understand the legal side of it very well because I am not a lawyer

2. They make nice cables

3. They are a nice company for us to deal with and they haven't personally pissed me off

4. If I pulled Monster from our lines, my employees would suffer because our sales would drop [really? Couldn't you just sell Hosa and Mogami and keep paying your stupid employees?]

5. (my favorite shitty rationalization): "Where do you draw the line?" Should I also refuse to sell anything made overseas? (not even remotely related to the original topic, but a handy rationalization)

etc.

They know it stinks, we know it stinks, but they have figured out how to reconcile that with the facts and somehow they sleep at night.

I think if we are serious about taking on Monster we should stop pestering Chuck Surack, who is on the take, and totally stop pestering Monster [which is sort of like writing a nasty letter to George Bush because you are mad about the WMD thing], and start writing to our elected representatives. Somebody in congress might be very interested in this situation and make it a pet project, especially with all the momentum right now about antiquated copyright laws and Lessig being pals with Obama and all.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:29 am

What about Monster energy drinks?

Someone needs to inform Webster's as it seems the word monster needs a TM mark next to it in the dictionary. Will they sue Webster's next for trade mark infringment? Since when is a common english word bought and owned by a private company? With this logic we will all need to learn sign language so we don't speak these forbidden words.

Noel is a horse's a**. We went to the Marriot bar at Namm Anaheim back in 1991. I got him drunk (he's a heavy drinker) and got him to spill the beans on his cables. He told me he tells the cable maker (they don't make it themselves but farm out the work) to add a little of this, add a little of that and make it look pretty. I was inquiring about more scientific uses like what would be best for interface cables to my newly aquired Audio Precision analyzer. He basically told me they never test the stuff, just make it look good and then make outrageous claims about it's performance. Pure snake oil.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:46 am

Jim Williams wrote:What about Monster energy drinks?
Oh, they've already sued Hansen's beverages too. No worry there.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:47 am

Jim Williams wrote:Since when is a common english word bought and owned by a private company? With this logic we will all need to learn sign language so we don't speak these forbidden words.
Write these thoughts to your elected officials! You are preaching to the converted here!

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 am

Good luck convincing a congressman lawyer to make laws affecting the bar.
They protect their own and their industry, the industy of lawsuits.

If tort reform were ever done, it would include loser pays changes.

Never going to happen when the bar runs the congress.

When congress, you know, the folks responsible for all the messes we're in, is re-elected with a 95% return rate, they will do as they've done. Expect no change. Change wasn't voted for, more of the same was.

Just like the energy speculators that drove up the price of gas to $5 per gallon, no accountability there. At least not with the American voter.

We have the government we deserve.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 am

Somebody from the Harmony Central guitar forums got that exact same email the other day.