Monster Cables suing Monster Mini Golf

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fullstax
studio intern

Monster Cables suing Monster Mini Golf

Post by Fullstax » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:17 pm

The Assclowns at Monster Cable are at it again.

This mini golf course is being sued by them and is looking for donations to pay for legal fees.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0335844365

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:38 pm

we should all get together and take turns kicking his ass
Last edited by mattwhritenour on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 pm

i'm gonna go buy a monster energy drink now

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 pm

UPDATE: The original auction was canceled because they didn't offer anything for the money. HERE IS THE NEW AUCTION LINK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0336911645

I just tossed a few bucks in. You?

Let's take a roll call of all TOMB members who gave a buck to support an independent business facing a frivolous lawsuit from one of the biggest weasels in the audio business. I'd hope we collectively make a good showing.
Last edited by Gentleman Jim on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 pm

It's worth the $5 to me.

I sincerely hope they go the distance with this and win to establish a precedent...anything to make it more difficult for Noel & Co.

Fullstax
studio intern

Post by Fullstax » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm wondering if the greatest threat to Monster Cable would actually be bad PR. If you could get some reputable news sources to report on this, it might put a damper on their party. That or get the phone number for the CEO, call him up, let him know what you think.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:55 pm

I gave $15.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:03 pm

This is a surprise to me, I had no idea. And it's a shame if these companies are really getting bullied into paying settlements - Monster obviously should have no claim in a trademark suit against a company engaged in a completely different business (consider Delta Airlines and Delta Faucets). Any of these companies ought to be able to defend themselves fairly cheaply, and then counterclaim for a frivolous suit. Federal Law provides for recovering attorney's fees and more in such a case.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:11 pm

got this from ebay:

"Unfortunately, we had to remove this Multiple Item Auction listing
and cancel all bids. We don't like to remove listings -- it's disappointing for everyone -- but sometimes we need to do it. "

I didn't think it'd stay up for long. Violation of ebay's TOS.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Here you can find the magic letter that makes Monster go away?

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm

Actually not; the letter concerns specific patents regarding terminal design. But it appears that the people at bluejeanscable have successfully warded off the Monster's legal department over another issue besides the Monster name. On that basis alone I might buy some of the blue jeans cables sometime.

As for the monster/mini golf suit: FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Well, they asked people to email Monster Cable to let the company know that others were unhappy with their actions. I emailed the following to Noel Lee, CEO of Monster, as well as some of the lawyers, Daniel Graham, their in-house "PR Monster," and a few other folks:

Dear Mr. Lee,

As an amateur guitarist for over 20 years, and a professional sound technician for over a decade, of course I realize your company's leadership in the audio cable market. It was Monster Cable that first made me aware that I may have been using inferior cable when playing my band's most popular songs, and thus negatively impacting the artistic effect I was wishing to make. Thank you for your years of tireless research into the seemingly forgotten science of metallurgy; without it I may have been "Rocking" with Jazz cable. This is clearly an unacceptable practice.

I am writing you today to inquire about employment opportunities within your company. As a musician, audio professional, and avid internet messageboard reader, I hear over and over again about Monster Cable's wrongheaded business strategies. I mean no offense, but clearly you require a "No Man" or what mafia dons refer to as a "Consigliere." I fear you have surrounded yourself with a cadre of business and legal advisers who do not have Monster Cable's best interests at heart. How else to explain the well-publicized and humiliating correspondence in March and April of 2008 between Christopher Passarelli, Esq. of the firm of LaRiviere, Grubman & Payne on your behalf, and Kurt Denke, Founder of Blue Jeans Cable? What other explanation could there be for spending time and money, not to mention trashing your company's goodwill, extorting licensing fees from independent vintage clothing stores? And now a small chain of theme miniature golf course franchises is being threatened by the same team that has repeatedly convinced the general public that Monster Cable is a heartless organization that should inspire contempt and ridicule. I don't believe this is what you spent years of hard work to build.

Furthermore, surely this isn't the legacy you want your children's children to inherit. Remember, the internet's memory is very long. Some day do you want your then 12 year old granddaughter to discover that her beloved Pop-Pop scraped just a few more crumbs onto his plate by harassing strangers, (many of whom weren't even competitors), and driving them out of business with his legal team? How much threat does a miniature golf course or a vintage clothing store pose to the well-being of a multinational audio/video cable company?

Mr. Lee, I have to be honest: I have very little to recommend me as a business adviser when one looks at my resume. But obviously you need a person close by to advise on matters of common sense and morality since it appears you currently have nobody filling this position. In light of this, I can certainly vouch for myself. I have decades of experience advising friends, family, and business associates in matters both personal and professional. I have been consulted repeatedly by those looking to repair damaged relationships, and I think I could bring this experience and expertise to bear in a campaign to convince the audio/video cable buying public that you are not, in fact, a painful boil on the rectum of society.

I can be reached at this email address if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Sincerely,
Jim Norton

Boy, I hope I get the job!

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 am

Well, I just wrote the following email to Sweetwater. I figured maybe letting people who carry monster cables know that they'll be losing business, might put added pressure on Monster themselves. I don't know if it would make a difference with every company that carries monster cables, but for the one where I've dropped a bunch of money over the years, maybe it'll make them just blink for a second. Anyway, it's just fucking Sweetwater. This is just the perfect reason to let go of THAT leash, anyway.

Dear Sweetwater,

I'm writing because of Monster Cable, and their petty practices of bullying and suing small businesses, claiming they have proprietary rights to the dictionary word, "monster", and find it necessary to try and rid the world of any other use of the word, whether it is at all in competition with them or not. Now, it's a chain of mini golf courses, but this is just the latest in a long line of frivolous lawsuits.

As a result, not only will I continue to boycott Monster Cable itself, but I will no longer be supporting businesses that carry Monster Cable products. I would therefor ask that you seriously consider not carrying their line. I understand that it is unlikely that you will do this, but I thought it important to let you know why I will not be spending money with your store anymore.

Now, I'm sure I'm not anywhere near one of your biggest customers, but I have been a regular and consistent customer and have spent many thousands of dollars at Sweetwater over the last 8 or so years. I imagine by the effort that is put into building relationships between salespeople and customers, that you value customer loyalty, so I hope you don't take this lightly. A good portion of the audio community is disgusted by Monster's practices, and their reputation is getting worse, not better.

Thank you for being a friendly retailer these past years. Take care.

Sincerely,
Geoff Mann
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:07 am

Just as a side note, I wouldn't go and boycott a small business or Mom n' Pop guitar shop because they carry Monster Cables. 1) because they're a small business and they may not be able to afford to NOT carry a well known product that every kid who reads guitar player magazine thinks they NEED to have in order to properly shred or whatever (and this is partly about being on the side of small businesses), and 2) because if some small retailer stopped carrying Monster Cables, do you think they'd really give a shit? Probably not.

Anyway, carry on.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:34 am

It's yet another reason to stop shopping at Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/Sweetwater/etc :x

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:43 am

curtiswyant wrote:It's yet another reason to stop shopping at Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/Sweetwater/etc :x
But that is only an effective tactic if you let their management know why you aren't shopping there. Otherwise they will just assume they haven't sent you enough Labor Day Sale mailers or made enough Sweetwater spam phone calls to your cell phone.