Can you make instrument cables out of xlr lines

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Can you make instrument cables out of xlr lines

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 am

My guitar-playing girlfriend was admiring my forrest green mic cables that I have been making. I was wondering if I can use that cable and unbalanced 1/4" connectors to make her a guitar cable if I only use one wire and the shielding.

In other words: will having an unconnected wire in the cable effect its functionality as an unbalanced cable?

mattwhritenour
pushin' record

Post by mattwhritenour » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 am

i've made 2 guitar cables with my Canare Quad mic cable like you are saying. I believe that if you shake the cable around that it sends a bouncing sound through to the amp. Also I made these years ago and the 2 people I made them for still use them, they have not broken at all yet.

K Street Recorders
audio school graduate

Re: Can you make instrument cables out of xlr lines

Post by K Street Recorders » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 pm

losthighway wrote:
In other words: will having an unconnected wire in the cable effect its functionality as an unbalanced cable?
No. One thing you can do if you're worried about it, is use both wires twisted together for the conductor. Try it and see!

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 pm

K Street Recorders wrote:
losthighway wrote:
No. One thing you can do if you're worried about it, is use both wires twisted together for the conductor. Try it and see!
Just be really careful both wires are cut really clode to the same length or you'll get signal arriving sooner on one wire than the other and will have phase problems.

(Just kidding)

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 pm

mattwhritenour wrote:if you shake the cable around that it sends a bouncing sound through to the amp.
I have experienced this as well (cable microphonics) with star quad wired for stereo on TRS connectors. Was using with a rickenbacker bass and hommade ric-o-sound box. For mono, I'd tie all the interior connectors together and solder to the tip. Can't hurt to try, just be aware of microphonics.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:17 pm

ckeene wrote:
Just be really careful both wires are cut really clode to the same length or you'll get signal arriving sooner on one wire than the other and will have phase problems.

(Just kidding)
You know what is sad? You had me fooled. That was one of those "They took gullible out of the dictionary" moments.

I'm thinking two wires tinned together makes the most sense. They will be less likely to be microphonic if they're carrying the same signal, as opposed to a dead piece of line that is just sitting there waiting to make trouble...... lousy punk, useless line.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm surprised nobody has posted the "right" answer :lol:

Do it like they do the high end cables.

Use the two conductors as "hot" and "cold." Tie the shield to one of the conductors AT ONE END ONLY. Mark this end, and connect the shield-connected end to the amp and the 'floating' end to your guitar.

This is supposedly 'better' for noise reduction because it eliminates the possibility of ground loops.

Now I don't know if this makes a hill of beans of difference or not, but it's the way the 'fancy' cables are made.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:59 am

??????? wrote:I'm surprised nobody has posted the "right" answer :lol:

Use the two conductors as "hot" and "cold." Tie the shield to one of the conductors AT ONE END ONLY. Mark this end, and connect the shield-connected end to the amp and the 'floating' end to your guitar.

This is supposedly 'better' for noise reduction because it eliminates the possibility of ground loops.

Now I don't know if this makes a hill of beans of difference or not, but it's the way the 'fancy' cables are made.
The cable shield must still be connected to the Sleeve part of the plug on the amp side in order to drain and RF/Emi noise around.

(Edit:sleeve for shield)
Last edited by mixedupsteve on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:31 am

mixedupsteve wrote:

The cable shield must still be connected to the Shield part of the plug on the amp side in order to drain and RF/Emi noise around.
You are correct. I thought I made this clear in my post? Tie the "cold" to the "shield" only at the amp end of the cord. The "floating" end plugs into the guitar. This is the best possible shielding method for an instrument cable, superior to the "shield-as-cold" method.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Well, I've never seen an electric guitar with a separate ground connection, so tell me how one gets a ground loop between the amp and the guitar?

And, FWIW, when you do this sort of trick with two pieces of equipment that are actually grounded, you want to tie the shield to the ground (chassis) of the DRIVING end. This way, you don't dump shield noise into the receiver.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Just the messenger. That's how many of the boutique cables do it. You'd probably have to ask the guys who make those the 'why' questions.

I get by fine with regular old George L's and home-rolled Canare. But just sharing the facts.