possibly redundant question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

possibly redundant question

Post by capnreverb » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:46 am

scenario

somewhat quiet recording with room mics. drum brush levels per say.

the dang switches on the guitar pedals are as loud as the drums. my electro harmonix pedals are the f**king worst. quiet, lovely passage then CLICK. its like announcing the music is going to change even before it happens.

Mod with differant switches, put a tiny pillow over it, stick to bass clarinet and forgo the pedals?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:15 am

1) Overdub the guitar part later? By which I mean, play the track without switching in the pedal, then go back and add the pedal track in?

2) run the pedal out to another room and have someone else who knows the song hit the switch at the right time.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:52 am

or put a heavy towel over it.

myself, i would overdub the bit with the effect but play without it while tracking the drums.

is the click really that bad?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: possibly redundant question

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 am

capnreverb wrote:scenario

somewhat quiet recording with room mics. drum brush levels per say.

the dang switches on the guitar pedals are as loud as the drums. my electro harmonix pedals are the f**king worst. quiet, lovely passage then CLICK. its like announcing the music is going to change even before it happens.

Mod with differant switches, put a tiny pillow over it, stick to bass clarinet and forgo the pedals?
1.- Put the guitarist and his / her rig in another room.

2. Record the effected (pedal-wise) part after the drums have been recorded.

3. Fire your engineer ( i Kid...)

4. Put the "room" mics in closer to the drumkit for this song, if they are only for the drumkit.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:06 am

It's a Jazz trio, and i use the term jazz very loosly. And, the click on the pedals is loud enough to be annoying.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:15 am

Step on the pedal at the exact same moment as a brush hit s its masked by the drums?

Reminds me of one of my all time favorite moments in recorded music. I don't know why I like it so much, but its the moment when one of the Beatles changes pickup selector right before the solo on I Want You. I just love that little moment.

You might let some time pass and see if it still bugs you. Upright basses make slappy creaky noises, guitar finger squeaks, piano damper pedals....its all part of the life of making music.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 pm

dsw wrote:Upright basses make slappy creaky noises, guitar finger squeaks, piano damper pedals....its all part of the life of making music.
see, i LOVE all that stuff!

except, perhaps, a squeaky kick drum pedal. :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Belive it or not, I have tried to time the pedal click with the drummer, to some advantage. I dont mind fret sound or upright bass buzz, it usually fits the context. For example, my alto sax keys are a bit clicky, so if i'm playing quiet, you can hear them, but it's part of the context of the sound. But, if I am playing my elec bass and we are doing some ambient sound washes and then i hit the dealy pedal or distortion its CLICK, f**king annoying. Imagine Brian Eno's Discreet Music or No Pussyfooting with a bunch of godamn clicks.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:20 pm

If you are in the box, that should be easily editable.

Crappy solution, I know, but ...

Otherwise, consider playing without the effect, and than doing it in the mix, probably with something rack-mount.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm

This got me thinking. It's just the kind of thing that can screw up a precious creative moment. You just want to hit the damn button at the right time and play. Doing location sound for video, I'm always trying to chase down and destroy stupid noises. So I just pulled out a rather loud general purpose pedal and stomped on it a few times. Part of the sound is the switch, Part of the sound is the metal box, and there's seems to be some transfer into the floor as well. By using sand bags to dampen the metal box, and prevent transfer into the floor, the switch was noticeably less obnoxious. I wondered if a layer or two of limp mass vinyl, or something similar, draped over the top might attenuate the switch click to the point where it 's acceptable. I need to find something around here that'll work for that. I figured I'd just post this quick note in case it helps. .... dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's