Family Matters

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

Family Matters

Post by sad iron » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:36 am

I'm thinking more and more about recording more and more over the next couple years. Right now I'm working out of my home and should be able to do that for a while as I build up a client base, etc. One of the pluses is that it will keep me at home more often than not.

But there's one thing that kinda concerns me. I have a wife and daughter and the hours that I know a lot of studio folks put in don't mesh with family-type hours. I don't want to give that up for myriad reasons, so my question to all you folks out there with families is: how do you balance the recording and the family. Or do you at all?
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:54 am

don't book hours that would conflict with their sleep schedules.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:59 am

RefD wrote:don't book hours that would conflict with their sleep schedules.
well, yeah, but I'm also thinking of the other hours (seems like starting at noon and going into the early evening at least is the norm) and weekends that most folks have to work. I don't wanna be that dad/husband that ain't around.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 am

Just offer a better rate for monday through friday from 9am to 6pm.

Bands would usually prefer to save money, rather than sleep in.

If you have to work late or on weekends, just charge enough to make it worth your while.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:20 am

It is a tough balance. While I don't rely on recording for my living at the moment, it's still a series of tough scheduling choices.
I have two daughters and a wife, and even though my studio is setup in the basement, I still try to book my gigs as location jobs to lessen the impact on my home life.
I find that most of my clients are pretty cool about my self-inflicted schedule restrictions. I just let them know upfront what I can do time-wise and I stick to it. Being upfront is usually well-received.
Also, whenever reasonably appropriate (like live all ages gigs or sessions for pals), I like to bring my older daughter along for setup and have my wife take her home when we get down to business. She loves mic's and usually is pretty entertained and asks a lot of questions. It's a very rare occasion that I can do this, but it's cool when it happens.

Long story short: make the time for what's important, and everything should work out.
But again, i don't do this full time.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:55 pm

The worst idea possible.

Doing this stuff at home sucks. Too many distractions.

Even at a high end place like where I first started, the guy was always 80% about home and 20% about studio/recording/producing and when I started there he had Def Leppard working out of his 'home' studio- although he wasn't engineering OR producing that project. His own projects were pretty broken up by other fires he had to put out with regard to his home/personal affairs.

One live-in facility I did some work at in Lake Tahoe was a studio/residence, but no one lived in the house, rather it was run more like an 'inn'. Clients stayed in the guest rooms and could get up and have breakfast if they wanted or wander down the hill to the village for breakfast and return later for mixing.

Mike Shipley who was mixing there at the time would go for morning coffee and be mixing by 8:30am.

Someone like Jim Scott was always an example for me as to how to do this and have a family- but he was still away from home for 12 to 13 hours a day. He would always wake up early though to spend time with his kids. He'd always be at the studio by noon. Dinner break was always AWAY from the studio.

Working out of a house sucks though especially if its the same building where all the other distractions are. Being to remove yourself and go 'someplace' and concentrate on things is always a better way to work.

Also, beware of your zoning and who is actually doing the work at your studio.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:58 pm

i do producing/recording full time - 90% from my home studio which is a converted garage in the home i live in with my wife and 2 young kids. it can be done - it works for us. i mostly work 10 - 6 or 2 - 10. generally i don't work sundays either,

be straight up about how you work and people will respect it.
the new rules : there are no rules

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:49 pm

joninc wrote:be straight up about how you work and people will respect it.
This can matter alot. An artist wants to be the selfish center of attention. Allowing them to be anything less, can work against getting a great performance. Baby/young child/pets can seriously hinder that kind of work. Remove all distractions and focus on the client. Give them 100% of your attention. Also, think about how your family will feel with strangers daily using the restroom and kitchen in your 'home' studio.

You may find you'll never have a chance to relax. Don't count on your wife to become 'studio runner/assistant/clean-up' person as that will be a selfish demand of your own.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:20 pm

you have to work out the details - it's not for everyone but it can work and it does for us.

the studio is totally soundproofed from the house and my family know not to pop out when clients are over.

ideally we'd have a seperate washroom - and we may actually install one this year.

i know i would see my family SO MUCH LESS if i had the studio elsewhere - plus the overhead would add a huge strain financially.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:00 pm

joninc wrote:plus the overhead would add a huge strain financially.
And thus the question is asked whether this is the most viable career choice. If you can't afford to do it elsewhere, maybe you shouldn't be doing it full time.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Dude in OH in the new magazine has been doing family/recording for the past 25 years, in his own house, while his wife sees patients all day as an MD. It can be done, but it takes a very special significant other to see the thrill of it.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:31 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
joninc wrote:plus the overhead would add a huge strain financially.
And thus the question is asked whether this is the most viable career choice. If you can't afford to do it elsewhere, maybe you shouldn't be doing it full time.
wow. i guess all home based businesses are a waste of time too eh?

get off your high horse dude - you are being lame. I never said i was rich - i never claimed to make tons and tons of money but i am supporting a wife and 2 kids and doing something that i love. I SAID IT WORKS FOR ME.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Don't worry too much about @?,*???&?. He likes to come here to stir things up and try to get a rise out of us.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 pm

I keep set hours at my studio, so I can meet family responsibilities. I know that's not the norm in the studio world, but I insist on it. I'm up front about the times I'm available, and that I need to stay within those parameters. That way, everyone knows what to expect, and it's worked out well.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:If you can't afford to do it elsewhere, maybe you shouldn't be doing it full time.
Why not? If he's making it work for himself and his family, and his clients are happy, what difference does it make?

It's a shame that dudes like Joe Meek and Tony Visconti didn't take that attitude, right?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC