Line 6 PodFarm Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Line 6 PodFarm Question

Post by pskjr » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi. I'm interested in purchasing the Line 6 PodFarm software so I can run a mic'd amp while recording, and also a DI track and blend the two. I was doing some research on the PodFarm and Line 6's site maid it seem as though I would need a Line 6 interface in order to run the software. So can anyone who is familiar with PodFarm software fill me in on some info? I have an Apogee Ensemble as my main converter/interface, and I use Logic Pro 8 Studio as my DAW. Will I be able to use the PodFarm software even though I don't have a Line 6 Interface? Will it just show up as a VST plug-in in my DAW? Or will I need a Line 6 interface to be able to run the software as a plug-in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

summersleep
audio school graduate

Post by summersleep » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 am

I read about POD Farm in Sound On Sound and thought (...hoped) it would work with any DAW set-up (not device-dependent)...BUT, the Line 6 site does say:
"POD Farm is currently available as a direct download for use with compatible Line 6 devices."

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 am

I have a UX2 and personally I liked the Gear Box thing better than POD Farm. I haven't spent that much time with POD farm yet, but it to me it looks better but is more cumbersome to use. Luckily it seems you can use either with the Line 6 Toneports. I have both installed and they both work.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 pm

I bought one of the Gearbox Gold $99 closeout bundles. The plug-ins are cool, but I'm just using the Toneport (or whatever it is) as an oversized dongle. I got an email about upgrading to PodFarm but have not checked it out yet. To install or upgrade their software your system has to be on the internet -- this is a huge pain -- since I purposely don't have my DAW connected.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:35 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:I bought one of the Gearbox Gold $99 closeout bundles. The plug-ins are cool, but I'm just using the Toneport (or whatever it is) as an oversized dongle. I got an email about upgrading to PodFarm but have not checked it out yet. To install or upgrade their software your system has to be on the internet -- this is a huge pain -- since I purposely don't have my DAW connected.

Mike
I am right there with you. It seems like I didn't have to connect to the internet to aurthorize the Pod farm, I just downloaded it on my other computer and installed it. I think? Regardless it is the same sounds as the Gearbox stuff, but I actually feel the opposite of getreel. I thought the gearbox interface was a clusterfk and hard to use, but I really like the Pod Farm interface.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:46 am

So, am I right that "Pod Farm" is just a different GUI for the Gearbox algorithms and the sound is the same?

I'd rather eat my hat than admit it, but gearbox sounds pretty damn cool. Not in a "I'll never mic an amp again" way, but it's a neat tool.
Steve Albini used to like it

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:40 pm

I haven't done a side by side, although I may when i ever get time since you can run them both. But it's the same exact amp models and effects etc. I am pretty sure the sounds are all the same. It's hard to say because I could never get a tone I was satisfied with on Gearbox because scrolling through the preset names was a PITA. With the Pod farm, I can see the amp I am looking for along with the effects etc, so I have been able to use the sounds a lot more now and I am enjoying them. I was getting ready to sell it too, so I am glad i kept it another week.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Piece-O.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:10 pm

I am getting used to POD farm interface now and it does look easier and cooler than GB. I miss the online patches you can download with GB though. Is there something like that for POD farm or do you have to use GB to download the patches and just use with PF?

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Studio2roll » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 am

I recieved a free download of the podfarm plug because I have the Pod X3Live which has to be plugged in USB for the plugin to work, but the X3Live is what does the processing supposedly so you don't tax your computer. It adds some nice functionality to what is already my fav piece of gear. The X3 has some dynamite sounds.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:41 pm

I have just been checking out PodFarm. I own a UX2 so I got the PodFarm standalone free but the VST will cost $49. My UX2 came with Gearbox and I never used it - choosing Amplitube 2 or GuitarCombos over it every time. However, it seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the PodFarm models are not exactly the same as the Gearbox ones. I also enjoy the new interface... it took a bit getting used to but now I find it pretty intuitive and more enjoyable to look at than Gearbox. I'm so impressed by it (especially the Vox and Fender models) that I'm considering getting the plugin along with the Collectors Classics Xpansion pack.
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel