Audio interface help.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

myphx
audio school graduate

Audio interface help.

Post by myphx » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:34 pm

I have read that Firewire audio interfaces will not work with Firewire ports that are on USB/Firewire "combo cards".

Does anybody out there know of any interfaces that do?

Also, I'm trying to find an interface (either Firewire or USB) that is known to work well with AmpliTube, and is compatible with 64 bit Windows Vista. Right now I'm using FL Studio as a sequencer. A very simple set-up, but I need to find an interface.

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated, Thanks.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 pm

I can't comment on Win "Mojave", but off the top of my head, I can't think of any manufacturers that support combo cards. In fact, a lot of them recommend against them.
Prog out with your cog out.

timmymacdd
takin' a dinner break

Post by timmymacdd » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Damn none of us are on vista 64 yet either....h.ehe......You will have a few problems there as well with plugins and such.

Your best bet is to either try a real usb soundcard since with a firewire usb combo you don't really have a real firewire for your computer....

But Usb soundcards work awesome......just go with a decent brand and buy used.

I am not sure with 64 bit as well though....A computer that doesn't have firewire built in is kind of maybe not really supposed to run 64 bit anything IMO......and I could be wrong...I am itching to try 64 bit but everything I actually use is all in testing for 64 bit......except my soundcard which is a steinberg MI4 device is already written for 64 bit last month( I paid 135 bucks for it a year ago......) But my plugins aren't all working with 64 bit and cubase is still not there yet either. at least not fully.

Best bet is to look in the support section of any device that you can find....on their website.......and it is even one step further to go to their messageboards and see if their drivers actually work. I think you might be about a year ahead of the actual working technology......WIth 64 bit you might even have to wait for windows 7.......if you have 4 gigs or less of ram I would turn back to 32 bit now.....

But if all else fails soundblaster is always working with the new computer stuff......and it works well. AND it is a cheap interum- if that is a word. But check their website first.

All of the real manufacturers will be updated around now. But struggling companies won't have the money to pay some computer geek to write a code yet.