Hat channel (aka Drywall Furring Channel)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Hat channel (aka Drywall Furring Channel)

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:41 pm

I bought some RSIC-1 clips to hang some drywall from the ceiling of my place. In Rod's book he says to use "hat channels" with RSIC-1 clips. Well I went to all the local hardware stores and chains and nobody knew what I was talking about. So I looked online and came to find people generally refer to those as Drywall Furring Channels. I checked again locally and nobody had them. I have even been having trouble finding them online. Anyone know where I can order these or pick them up from?

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 pm

Is it possible what you are lookikng for is also known as "resilient channel"? I've bought resilient channel at home depot etc. in the usa for a similar purpose.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:31 pm

looks like a no:

"I was very impressed with how easy it was to install the RSIC? system, and how unlike resilient channel, it is virtually impossible to short circuit the resilient attachment it provides by using screws that are too long (a problem we often see in the field when resilient channel is used)."

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:51 pm

No he definitely makes a distinction between Resilient Channels and Hat Channels. He does not recommend usage of Hat Channels unless used with RSIC-1 isolation clips which I bought. When referring to RSIC-1 clips in the book he also talks about them in conjunction with "hat channels".

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:58 pm

You can order them from soundproofing.org, though I don't know how their prices compare and shipping from SoCal to the Midwest will probably suck. But HERE's the link to the page anyway.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 pm

I checked that out and shipping was over $100! So I called and called and called and finally found a local building contractor that sold them, for cheap too! I am sooo relieved...

Thanks for your help guys.