Questions about the Alesis HD24

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

emrr wrote:44.1 with an HD24 and a BRC is a technical disaster.
????!!
My BRC only does 48 kHz and can only be clock master. I've had no problems with 48 kHz with HD24 and BRC. I also lament the lack of features, but that's because the BRC was never updated to work with the HD24 more closely.

What really gets my goat is that not only does the BRC not work that well, but also MIDI MMC doesn't really work either (at least I can't get it to work). Add to that the fan noise of the stock HD24 and it's a bit frustrating that there isn't a good remote solution for trasport, track arming, etc.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:03 am

pitch down to -147 cents and you have 44.1. But the HD24 doesn't understand. How in the hell did they skip the ability for BRC data to be transfered to and backed up by the recorder?!?! Ergonomics of the HD24 suck in comparison to the useless data the BRC can generate, but no longer save.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 am

i have a ghost and up until very recently was running a HD24 as converters in and out of my DAW - get a RME hammerfall card for your computer (to go direct lightpipe in and out) and you are golden. works great for this.

i had a additional 2 channel a/d for monitoring the computer and printing mixes but you can just set 23 and 24 to be digital inputs to monitor your stereo out of your DAW - use 1 - 22 for inputs.

have fun!
the new rules : there are no rules

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:12 am

Joninc that seems like a good idea, unfortunately we are using an iMac but we could probably sell it and get a G5 or something.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:44 am

Wouldn't the M-Audio Firewire Interface do pretty much the same thing as the RME or am I missing something there? Is the fact that it's firewire and not a PCI card make it any different performance wise? I'd love to keep pro tools, and would be fine with M Powered. If the M-Audio thing would actually work alright we could just bypass the HD24 and get 3 or 4 tango 24's or the standalone Alesis Converters. The M-Audio thing looks like a plastic piece of shit but if actually can get 32 ins and outs with pro tools that would be great.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 am

Is there a difference between the stock and XR converters when you're doing 24 track? Or is it just the ability to do 12 track at 96 that justifies the cost? There's one (non-XR) for sale locally, and I'm thinking seriously about picking it up this week.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:06 pm

different converters.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

redlanternpdx
ass engineer

Post by redlanternpdx » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:45 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:To the OP: I still regret not getting the XR version. The normal one is fine, though. Definitely get the fireport (as others have said, it is very useful). You can record on the HD24, fly into PT with the fireport, edit and even create effect tracks (like a reverb track), and then fly back to HD24 for mixing if you want.

The biggest downside to the HD24 is that you can't layer takes on top of one another on a single track (no virtual tracks). It's just like a tape machine, or maybe more like three ADATs slaved together. If you want to do multiple vocal takes, you have to leave some tracks available when you're doing the instruments. With good musicians, it's not a problem since you can punch in pretty easily. If you are used to taking and comping a lot, the HD24 isn't so good at that.
You have to LEAVE TRACKS OPEN for other tracks? Dear lord, that sounds just awful. JUST LIKE TAPE? What a bad characteristic!
*facepalm*

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 am

joninc wrote:i have a ghost and up until very recently was running a HD24 as converters in and out of my DAW - get a RME hammerfall card for your computer (to go direct lightpipe in and out) and you are golden. works great for this.
I have run a 9632 card for many years. However, a computer fix and re-install of the card has left it non functional. The older drivers don't work with XP service pack 3. Well, at least they do until you remove and re-install the card.

I followed RME's instructions and downloaded the new drivers. They don't work. I then used a fresh, new computer, (same P4 2.4ghz) and tried again. No go. The drivers don't work. Unless I get some miracle from RME, this card will be available for sale.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a PC audio PCI card that will have a S/PDIF I/O that is 24 bit and 96k? I don't need any analog functions, just the coax digital I/O. I don't need lightpipe, ADAT sync or anything else but a pair of RCA digital I/O jacks and 24 bit resolution. Low cost is also desireable.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades