Overdrive for a Twin Reverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

daniel ramirez
ass engineer

Post by daniel ramirez » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:57 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Ross distortion + (the one I had) was much more of a fuzz than a overdrive. A very white noise kind of sound.
cool...thats what i wanted to hear. I didn't need another TS-type drive...

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Re: Overdrive for a Twin Reverb

Post by NeglectedFred » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:16 pm

mhuxtable wrote:i dont like a very "distorted" tone. i like it to sound like the tubes are driven. and i dont like the sound too driven (I use fuzz for that). i want it just be just a nice warm break up of the sound.
That's funny, I just found a way to get an awesome breakup with my fuzz pedal (BBE Free Fuzz).

I turned the fuzz almost all the way down, the volume almost all the way up, and just backed the volume knob on my guitar off a hair. I get a really warm clean sound with a great break up right where and when I want it. I have to put the gain on my amp right before the breakup point - but it's beautiful.
I eat glue.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:18 pm

daniel ramirez wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:Ross distortion + (the one I had) was much more of a fuzz than a overdrive. A very white noise kind of sound.
cool...thats what i wanted to hear. I didn't need another TS-type drive...
the ross I had was almost industrial sounding compared to a TS. I consider those to be pretty warm.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 am

Distortion + and Ross more high end crispy/fizzy (I associate Husker Du's guitar tones with these pedals).

Tube Screamers - can be nasally due to mid-hump/bass-cut, typically not as much hissy distortion on tap compared to a Dist +. (Lots of boutique pedals are variations on the TS circuit...)

So many options for this - it'll be hard to find a one-size-fits-all, so try a bunch out /listen to sound clips.

I'm liking the Crowther Hotcake. Gets a bit noisy/BigMuff-ish at high gain settings, but nice for sending a hot, slightly gritty sound into an amp if pedal is on low gain...
I like recording stuff.
Bassist, guitarist, pedal builder, recovering music snob.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:05 am

I'd recommend the MXR Micro-Amp, the EH LPB, or the BBE Boosta Grande. These will not change the tone of the amp, but will hit the input harder...much, much harder.
Yeah, I agree with this and forgot about this the first time I posted. The MXR Micro-Amp + Twin is a great combo for adding some gentle breakup. One thing to be aware of is that this setup will be really sensitive to your pickups, but its a different way to go from the TS-* direction that might be along the lines of what you are looking for. Basically the microamp makes your twin sound like a twin thats turned up louder at lower volume. Its just a bit more unstable.