Overdrive for a Twin Reverb

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Overdrive for a Twin Reverb

Post by mhuxtable » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:49 pm

SO I know Overdrive has been talked about a lot before...

but I love this forum and Id love to have your collective opinions.

I play a Sheraton II and a Fernandes strat thru a 65 reiusse twin reverb.

most of the music I play is clean with effects (delay, modulations, reverbs, etc).

but i havent found a nice drive sound i like yet.

i dont like a very "distorted" tone. i like it to sound like the tubes are driven. and i dont like the sound too driven (I use fuzz for that). i want it just be just a nice warm break up of the sound.

the thing ive liked the most so far is the fulltone mosfet pedal. but i dunno any ideas? i want to make sure ive tested the water completely before i go and make a purchase.

and please no blues drivers or anything. i know people love some boss pedals but theyre just not my thing.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine sounds like the pedal you're looking for.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:05 pm

tried a Crowther Hotcake?

*is suddenly overwhelmed by a sense of deja vu*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 pm

for recording, use the volume knob.
for live, I use a Danelectro Daddy-O. It sounds really nice at light overdrive settings.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:11 pm

If you want a good 70's-style thick-yet-cleanish manly-but-I-like-it-too-disortion, I highly recommend the Seymour Duncan Twin-Tube Classic.

Most realistic distortion pedal I've owned (but I don't have much experience with boutique pedals). Works great pushing Fender amps into a very sweet, clean, slightly enhanced distortion.

BTW, I think the rhythm channel is much tastier than the lead channel - the lead channel gets a little too Carlos for me.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, here's some YouTubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqD0ApvB ... re=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTg13SgE ... re=related
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 am

Back when I had a big Fender clean amp I used an overdrive made by Reverend (forget the model). It had an extra button for boost, too, which was good for solos.

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mhuxtable » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:08 am

Thanks for all the help so far! Sorry about the double post...i dunno how that happened.

I'm gonna start checking out all these pedals.

Subatomic, I'm not sure you're familiar with my amp. This amp 1. really doesn't need to go past 3 or 4 in a recording setting because it is so LOUD. and 2. does NOT break up or distort at high volumes. So using the volume knob is a no go.

Lots of homework to do! Keep em coming.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 am

Just got a twin this weekend (1970).
I tried my Fulltone OCD and a Boss Distortion OD (forgot the model) but both worked well. The important thing was to keep the Drive turned down a lot on the pedal. like around 2 O'clock, to keep the tone in control.
Good Luck.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:03 am

Now, I've tried a lot of boutique overdrive pedals, but surprisingly when I had a Twin Reverb the best sound I got was a Ibanez TS9 and my old Epiphone Emperor (now owned by Binky of the Dap Kings) with that amplifier, that combination sounded larger than life.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Tube screamer

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 am

i have a twin and the TS9 and the fulltone fulldrive mosfet are the two best thing for it. i play either a telecaster, epiphone les paul, or a hagstrom viking and those two pedals have been all i've ever needed.
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:33 am

Other "in between" overdrive pedals:

Barber LTD
Menatone Red Snapper
Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive

daniel ramirez
ass engineer

Post by daniel ramirez » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:39 am

I use a Reverend Drivetrain through Fender verbs, I like it.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:48 am

i have a twin and the TS9 and the fulltone fulldrive mosfet are the two best thing for it.
Me too. Although my Fulldrive is not the MOSFET.
It's a custom cream Fulldrive II. More balls than the regular old Fulldrive, but similar. Not sure how many of these were made, but mine cost me plenty! These custom shop models were available in many different colors and were back to the point to point wiring of the originals. That's probably why they cost more. Mine is a 2005 model with the flat mids/vintage toggle. It's freakin' great! My TS9 is really a Maxon OD9 but it's the same circuit. It's a bit harsher than the orignal TS9 but sounds better to me than the reissues. My Twin is a non-master volume '71. It's a studio only amp now as I was tired of lugging it around. I use a Roland Blues cube for gigs these days and the same pedals sound great in front of it too.

sparky
pushin' record

Post by sparky » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:16 am

analogman tubescreamers are good for this.

have you considered selling the amp and getting a smaller one with a similar topology though, like a princeton reissue or a champ clone? If you like the sound of the tubes being overdriven, the easiest thing to do might be to get an amp that lets you run the tubes that hot without too much level.