FMR-esque

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

EvanMidds
ass engineer

FMR-esque

Post by EvanMidds » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Hey All,
I'm getting the itch to get some new gear and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for small companies that are along the same lines as FMR Audio, ie fantastic product at a relatively reasonable price. I've had the RNC now for about 4 years and potentially may end up getting the RNLA but was curious what other companies are out there that make good sounding (subjective i know but open to opinions) and reliable gear.

I'm mainly looking for a limiting amp or an outboard two channel EQ, but if you happen to have a favorite small company regarding any type of gear (amps, EQ's, mics, pre's etc) I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks!
All the Best,
Evan Middlesworth
Owner Pine Hollow Audio

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:14 pm

hmmm: let's see - reasonable price is also a relative term ...

i have been eyeing the sebatron stuff - not dirt cheap but WAY cheaper than other comparable high end tube pres. 4 channels for $1800! that's like $450 per channel for tube and transformer based pres.

the sytek pres are always popular and affordable too...

check out the chameleon labs stuff - again it's not dirt cheap - but gets very strong reviews and WAY cheaper than comparable boutique stuff. their 1073 pre and SSL comp - and tube sdc - all look like they are worth chequing out.

don't know about cheap eqs - they seem to be more expensive for ones that get strong reviews. maybe speck? except picking up some used UREI graphics on ebay - same frequency points as the API 560.
the new rules : there are no rules

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:56 pm

And then there's all the DIY kits too... seventh circle audio for example...
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

EvanMidds
ass engineer

Post by EvanMidds » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 am

Excellent suggestions guys. I've also been checking out the Toft gear. I really like their ATB board which got me checking out their outboard gear.

Antilog, have you built anything from Seventh Circle?
All the Best,
Evan Middlesworth
Owner Pine Hollow Audio

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:26 am

EvanMidds wrote:Excellent suggestions guys. I've also been checking out the Toft gear. I really like their ATB board which got me checking out their outboard gear.

Antilog, have you built anything from Seventh Circle?
No I have not, just from what I've read they're high quality for the price.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:57 am

I built two A12 (API) and two N72 (Neve) mic pres from Seventh Circle. They see constant use. The build is relatively easy as long as you're REALLY careful and don't put anything in the wrong spot. The boards can be a bit crowded and difficult to desolder, so be very careful. I had to repair some traces on one of mine after putting a resistor in the wrong spot and having to desolder it. But... it works great and sounds awesome. If you're handy with a soldering iron and can be meticulous when it comes to following instructions... go for it.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 am

Used Symetrix and Ashly gear can sometimes be had cheap, and it's quality stuff- they're "clean", not "character" though. I know both companies made parametric EQs.
Steve Albini used to like it

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:06 am

More people should get hip to this:

http://bystromaudio.com/

I got mine for $1200 used and it's been quite wonderful really. Very transparent for an opto, and the makeup gain sounds really good. At around $400 a channel it's a complete steal.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:01 pm

signorMars wrote:I built two A12 (API) and two N72 (Neve) mic pres from Seventh Circle. They see constant use. The build is relatively easy as long as you're REALLY careful and don't put anything in the wrong spot. The boards can be a bit crowded and difficult to desolder, so be very careful. I had to repair some traces on one of mine after putting a resistor in the wrong spot and having to desolder it. But... it works great and sounds awesome. If you're handy with a soldering iron and can be meticulous when it comes to following instructions... go for it.
+1. If you can solder well, absolutely amazing sound for the money IMHO.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

EvanMidds
ass engineer

Post by EvanMidds » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:05 pm

+1. If you can solder well, absolutely amazing sound for the money IMHO.
Yeah I've been checking out SC more after the positive feedback from this post. I think I'll bring up the soldering chops a bit more before I dig into a project like this, but I am excited to build my own pres.
All the Best,
Evan Middlesworth
Owner Pine Hollow Audio

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:07 pm

In addition to the great companies already mentioned, there's one that comes to mind when I think "good and cheap, but good regardless of cheap" and that's Audio Technica, especially certain products. I know they're not a small company but I really respect what they're able to pull off price/performance wise on most of their products.

I've had great luck with their microphones, headphones, phono cartridges, etc. They just seem to be more able than the other 'big names' to strike the price/performance balance consistently. It seems that the affordable AT stuff is "good" stuff that happens to be cheap, as opposed to inferior products that trade on the name of a company's higher line stuff. The 4033 and 4050 LDC microphones, the ATM450 and Pro37R SDCs, the ATH-M50 headphones, tons of their under-$100 phono cartridges, etc... there is just tons of stuff in their product line that's not break-the-bank expensive but is decidedly un-cheesy-- much of it you will find in 'real' studios. They seem to constantly have a "best value" product or other that impresses me. It reminds me a bit of the FMR stuff in that way.

Agreed on the Seventh Circle products, I've got a few of those here, too.

Really the best way to build up a studio of good gear on a budget is to learn to build/repair yourself. But there are some good values out there.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:08 pm

lobstman wrote:Used Symetrix and Ashly gear can sometimes be had cheap, and it's quality stuff- they're "clean", not "character" though. I know both companies made parametric EQs.
There's not much clean about my Ashley SC-66 EQ. Lots of character there.
??????? wrote:Audio Technica, especially certain products. I know they're not a small company but I really respect what they're able to pull off price/performance wise on most of their products.
Agreed and they've got a relatively long company history.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:33 am

Totally agree on the Audio Technica. The 4047 totally changed my recording life. I really want to get a 4050 sometime too.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:35 am

As a happy FMR owner (2 RNP, RNC, RNLA), the next step for me is porbably the Hamptone.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:14 am

cgarges wrote: There's not much clean about my Ashley SC-66 EQ. Lots of character there.
D'oh! Forgot about that one, I was thinking of the later PQX series which are pretty surgical. Yeah, the earlier Ashly units were kind of dirty (in a good way), but the Symetrix stuff I've used has all been pretty transparent.

The Rane SP15 parametrics are pretty usable, and the DBX 242 is nice if you can find one. The Orban parametrics have a cool "analog grit" sound, and you can find those cheap.
Steve Albini used to like it