Sorry, one last TapeOp Ribbon Mic Thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Sorry, one last TapeOp Ribbon Mic Thread

Post by NeglectedFred » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:42 pm

OK, now that the hype has died down it's a little easier to come up with a solid, unbiased opinion.

I just pulled mine out again today, and I've still not found a great use for these things.. They're boxy sounding, I always wanna pull down the 300-500Hz region, but then most of the character is gone, and it just sounds like a cheap ol' mic..

I mix it with other mics in hopes to fill something I might lack with one, but I usually end up just cutting it out.

I've had 2 happy recordings with them out of maybe a little more than a dozen. One was on an acoustic guitar, and one was between two vocalists as a room mic.

I haven't used them much because I've kinda given up on them.

Anyone found a place where they really shine? Is it anyone's 'go to' mic for anything in particular?
I eat glue.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:37 pm

I used it a lot as a room or front of kit mic. I liked the "dirtyness" of it.

But then i had it modded by Michael Joly, and now its a new beast, works on a lot of things.. totally night and day.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:22 pm

They are not very useful stock. At the very least, you need to swap out the el-cheapo Chinese transformer and put something like the Cinemag 9888 in there.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Check the ribbon and make sure it's not too loose.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:17 pm

b3groover wrote:They are not very useful stock. At the very least, you need to swap out the el-cheapo Chinese transformer and put something like the Cinemag 9888 in there.
useful, just have to find the use.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:23 pm

trodden wrote:useful, just have to find the use.
I believe it was one of the newer (maybe 10 or 15 years old) Pink Panther movies where the inspector is struggling accross the desert when he see's a man on a camel and asks, "Excuse me, but do you know which way is south?"
The man replies, "Yes!", and then continues to ride off on his camel.

I feel like this is the same type of response to the question I've asked in the begining of this thread.

But now for another, A transformer change sounds like a good option, of all the possible mods that can be made here, what is going to be a cost effective way to turn these mic's into something useful?

My fear is that I will put money into them, and probably have some positive changes, but still find them worthless... Just a better worthless... Which is still... Well, you get the idea.
I eat glue.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 pm

NeglectedFred wrote:
trodden wrote:useful, just have to find the use.
I believe it was one of the newer (maybe 10 or 15 years old) Pink Panther movies where the inspector is struggling accross the desert when he see's a man on a camel and asks, "Excuse me, but do you know which way is south?"
The man replies, "Yes!", and then continues to ride off on his camel.

I feel like this is the same type of response to the question I've asked in the begining of this thread.

But now for another, A transformer change sounds like a good option, of all the possible mods that can be made here, what is going to be a cost effective way to turn these mic's into something useful?

My fear is that I will put money into them, and probably have some positive changes, but still find them worthless... Just a better worthless... Which is still... Well, you get the idea.
maybe you should get off the camel and re-read the post of mine where i say i liked it as a room mic or front of kit mic? eh?

also used it on violin and a viola through an ampeg 8X12 and ampeg head and electric guitar.

how is that witty desert man?

maybe you should just save your money then desert man.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Trodden, I'm not trying to belittle you, and I appreciate your first post. What I find interesting is that in that post you claimed that you had it modded - night and day difference - and now like it in front of a kit..

Good information, thanks.

- But it's interesting that you respond to a statement about it's uselessness out of the box by saying it's not useless if you find a use - and apparently you didn't, thus you had it modified.

I dunno, I'm not trying to argue the point - just looking for help, sorry if I offended you.
I eat glue.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:03 pm

NeglectedFred wrote:Trodden, I'm not trying to belittle you, and I appreciate your first post. What I find interesting is that in that post you claimed that you had it modded - night and day difference - and now like it in front of a kit..

Good information, thanks.

- But it's interesting that you respond to a statement about it's uselessness out of the box by saying it's not useless if you find a use - and apparently you didn't, thus you had it modified.

I dunno, I'm not trying to argue the point - just looking for help, sorry if I offended you.
umm in my post, i said i liked it in front of kit, before i modded it. Sand in your eyes desert man? or is that breeze from that great salty lake near you.

not trying to start shit, but felt it was silly for you to not be "happy" with the info i gave in the first place.. I guess you just didn't read it correctly.

i found it useful out of the box, as my first post states, as a room mic and in front of the kit. that's were i used it the most. i did use it on violin a few times as well..

then in my first post i said i got it modded, Didn't say cause i fount it non-useful, cause i clearly stated i used it before.. however, since you need MORE INFO, i got it modded cause i heard good things about the mod, and heard good audio samples. so therefore, made a decision, to mod it, and I am happy now.

so let me sum it up for you. I found it useful before the mod and after the mod.

cheers, sandman.

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 pm

I didnt even know you guys actually received them. swear to god.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:24 pm

ugh.

do we really have to listen to another cheesy metallica song?
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 pm

alissa wrote:ugh.

yeah that album sucked, like all the others after it.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:58 pm

alissa wrote:ugh.

fuckily-duckily-ding-dong!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:20 am

out of the woodwork they come!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:42 am

I really love mine for vocalists that have a high or better yet, nasally register. It totally tames that edge but still sounds natural.

Also, in a mid-side set up for drum room with my audio techinica 4047. They rule for this purpose.

Sometimes on electric guitars, especially if it is a really trebly sound OR if I am combining it with a condenser mic on the guitar amp.

Sometimes on Drum overheads.

I did the most basic mod to mine, I tore out the inner mettle mesh, took out the silk bag and stuffed foam in the body to stop extra resonance. I plan on changing the transformers eventually, but they are working great for me now so I am not in a hurry. Note, I still used them on vocals for a nasally singer for an entire album before the mod and the tracks held up very well.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.